Intuition in neurosurgical procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XannyFairy

Reaction score
I came across this invention that measures brain pulsatility during craniotomies to help neurosurgeons implement compensation measurements with quantitative data instead of intuitively determining the level of brain swelling based on tactile sensation.
Technology -CerebroSense: A Brain Pulsatility Measurement Device
Questions :
(1) Would you actually use this invention / think it would be helpful ?
(2) What other similar procedures exist that currently use surgical intuition that may be improved through quantitative measurements of some kind ?

Members don't see this ad.

I suppose it could be applied. Could be interesting to see in situations where the indication for surgery is to reduce pressure whether or not you could see a corresponding drop that confirmed that you were successful but overall I don't think this is a particularly applicable device. Other than to demonstrate to my students that the brain is full I rarely press on the brain for any reason. It is more a visual judgment based on whether or not you are able to access the corridors that you wish to access based on brain relaxation. Most surgical judgments have some level of intuition involved.