Invitation for PhD interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sakina

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been called for a PhD interview, and I am supposed to meet 4 faculty members, current students, and there is an informal dinner.
I would like to know what kind of conversations, or questions take place during the informal dinner/such events and what kind of questions a candidate can ask the students and the faculty members.

Thanks
Sakina.

Members don't see this ad.

Sakina said:
Hi,

I have been called for a PhD interview, and I am supposed to meet 4 faculty members, current students, and there is an informal dinner.
I would like to know what kind of conversations, or questions take place during the informal dinner/such events and what kind of questions a candidate can ask the students and the faculty members.

Thanks
Sakina.

I went on 4 interviews when I was applying. At informal events I asked faculty about their research, what brought them to X school etc. Students I asked pretty much the same thing; why they chose this school, do like this city, cost of living, regrets, and asked about their research as well. I took note of enthusiasm or lack there of. Do students enjoy journal club? How are students treated? By the way, most of my interviews were spent with the interviewer trying to convince me to attend their school. Oh, and questions about my previous research experience. Hope this got to you on time. Good luck and have fun!

When you get an interview, does it mean that you are almost in?

Members don't see this ad :)
jrdnbenjamin said:
Depends on the school. It does at most places I know. Definitely not at UCSF though.

Thank you for your respond. I have an interview on March 11 at USC. At the end of their invitation says something like...welcome to USC and we hope that your expirience here will make you a good resercher........That is why I asked the question above :)