Iowa MSTP vs UAB MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkguzman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So I got acceptance to both Iowa and UAB and I am interested in doing neuroscience research that focuses on synaptic plasticity and neurodegenerative disease. I would appreciate anyone's input on the pros and cons of each institution that might assist me in this decision. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would pick Iowa, but i've never been to either. Where did you fit in best?

Hi mkguzman,

First let me state that I know nothing of Iowa MSTP and that I interviewed for the UAB MSTP. My research interests are nearly identical to yours and I was very impressed by the breadth of research in both neurodegenerative disorders and synaptic plasticity. I was told that new director of neuroscience or neurobiology (I can't remember the name of the director...it's the person who did the paintings) is emphasizing learning and memory, so UAB may be a great place for synaptic plasticity research. There seems to be a good number of faculty that conduct electrophysiology or atleast have a collaboration with a lab that does electrophys. UAB also recruited some great faculty members in neurodegen so you would have a good number of labs to choose from. Also, I got the vibe that neuroscience is going to be booming at UAB and seems like a very exciting place to conduct neuroscience research.

That being said, I got a feeling that some of the faculty were using the school as a stepping stone onto more "prestigious" or positions. This might be the only negative thing I could say about UAB. Nonetheless, the school seems to be attracting faculty coming from prestigious institutions, so I don't think you will have trouble finding a great mentor for your PhD.

Ultimately, you should decide where you think you'd be happiest and you have the best fit. Hopefully someone else can expand on Iowa, but I just wanted to give you my 2 cents on UAB.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations, mkguzman on the acceptances!

UAB has had amazing neuroscience growth over the past 4 years -- new chairs in Psych, Neurobio, and Neurology. New profs and labs in all those departments as well. (Dr. Sweatt, the guy who does the paintings, is the chair of Neurobio; Dr. Meador-Woodruff, a post-mortem schizophrenia guy, heads psych; I am not sure about neurology). Both Drs. Sweatt and Meador-Woodruff are very big guys in their fields, and if you work in their labs, you'll be working in top-quality labs --- the same quality you'd find at Michigan or Baylor or any of the other big dogs. And, as synplast said, electrophys here is fabulous. Plus, they are in the nicest building on campus :)

Neurodegen is big in neurology, and there is a center for experimental therapeutics in the Civitan Center header by Dr. Standaert, who came here from Harvard a few years ago.

http://main.uab.edu/neurology/Templates/Inner.aspx?pid=104130

The university, however, has been hit very hard by funding cuts -- but I am sure Iowa is in the same situation. The good thing, though, is that the administration is really dedicated to making this a top medical school in all respects. However, that will be very difficult considering the limited financial resources at the university's disposal in even the best of economic times.

Birmingham is very livable and cheap, but not really exciting.

The vibe I got from Dr. Lorenz, though, is that she is absolutely amazing. She would be an amazing mentor, I think.

That being said, I got a feeling that some of the faculty were using the school as a stepping stone onto more "prestigious" or positions.

I am not sure I agree -- I actually think it is going the other way. The univeristy has actually been doing LOTS of recruiting from the very prestigious schools. Dr. Standaert in Neuro is from Harvard; Meador-Woodruff from Michigan; Sweatt from Baylor. I think UAB is actually winning the talent war.

Thank you to everyone for providing some insight. The information will definitely be helpful. It would be helpful to get someone's input on Iowa's program but we'll see... does any one have any comment of the nature of the medical education, independent of the graduate resources, provided by each institution?

I am not sure I agree -- I actually think it is going the other way. The univeristy has actually been doing LOTS of recruiting from the very prestigious schools. Dr. Standaert in Neuro is from Harvard; Meador-Woodruff from Michigan; Sweatt from Baylor. I think UAB is actually winning the talent war.

It's awesome that UAB is recruiting such great faculty. I'd imagine those people left their former institutes because they were offered to chair or head the department at UAB. To get a better idea of retention rates, look at their junior faculty.

It seems like you couldn't go wrong with either institute. They're in incredibly different geographic locations and maybe you should put more weight on your living situation.

Rah Rah Rah UAB! Rah Rah Rah!

Sampling bias at its finest... I know we had someone go to UIowa years ago but I can't remember who it was and it was years ago. You could always check the previous years matriculation lists and start PMing people who went to the schools you're interested in. Your rate of response might be low as people don't come back to SDN and/or don't care about applicants when they become students (especially past first year). But, it's worth a try if you really want answers.

I can't speak of UAB, but I interviewed at Carver this year and I thought the school was fantastic. I personally liked how the medical education was set up with the communities and the PBL (pretty standard at most schools now I think?) but anyways. In terms of your specific research interests, while I am also interested in neuroscience, my interest are a little more developmental which I thought UI had a lot to offer in that regard but I don't know specifically about synaptic plasticity. I remember seeing that a decent amount of investigators at UI worked with synpatic plasticity, synaptogenesis, ect but I don't have a clue if they are big names or not.

congrats on getting acceptances to those two schools, I don't think you could make a wrong choice either way (but personally, I'm pulling that you do not choose carver so I can get off the waitlist :) )

good luck with your decision

I am a graduate student at iowa and i can tell you that the research and faculty here are phenominal.

just fyi...
i diddnt get into Iowa med so I am not just making this up