Iowa vs Jackson Memorial

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

closerpine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Any thoughts on the program at Jackson Memorial (U of Miami) vs Iowa? I interviewed at both and liked them. Residents seemed happy at both but I've read dissenting opinions on U of Miami on SDN. Was wondering if anyone had any inside scoop on either program?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know a whole lot about either, but Iowa is more academically reputable. Their new-ish chair is from Hopkins and pretty good. Also, Nancy Andreasen is a legend and still going strong. Everything about Nemeroff (Miami's chair) can be found on these boards/google search, etc.

Also, would you prefer downtown-ish Miami or Iowa City?

Well the difference between Miami and Iowa City is about as stark a contrast as you can get. If you are someone who would be happy in Iowa City, that's a slam dunk over Jackson. If you'd rather be able to finish work then mosey over to the club, beach, or Ultra, you will still get plenty of good clinical exposure in Miami.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well the difference between Miami and Iowa City is about as stark a contrast as you can get. If you are someone who would be happy in Iowa City, that's a slam dunk over Jackson. If you'd rather be able to finish work then mosey over to the club, beach, or Ultra, you will still get plenty of good clinical exposure in Miami.

^ this. I'm currently in Miami and have been grappling with the location a lot despite really enjoying the program that I was able to rotate through as a MS3. Some people love it, others hate it. Not to mention that Miami was listed as the worst city to live in recently (link below). I know Jackson is further North, so hopefully you'll be able to live in a better area (especially if you have kids or are thinking about having any). On the plus side, the cuban coffee is amazing ;)

Another thing, do you speak Spanish? Or Creole? If memory serves me correctly, Jackson might have a large Creole population and a decent Spanish speaking population.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/m...ica-which-is-the-wake-up-call-we-need-8561790

Good luck :luck:

Learn Spanish if you come to Miami. Many patients don't speak English and most private conversations between attendings break into Spanish, especially at other Miami hospitals. That said, Miami is great

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know a whole lot about either, but Iowa is more academically reputable. Their new-ish chair is from Hopkins and pretty good. Also, Nancy Andreasen is a legend and still going strong. Everything about Nemeroff (Miami's chair) can be found on these boards/google search, etc.

Also, would you prefer downtown-ish Miami or Iowa City?

I'm from Chicago so Iowa City is closer to home but Miami is more like home size-wise. I plan on returning to Chicago after I finish so while I'd prefer living in Miami, I don't mind Iowa City for four years. I thought the two programs were similar in terms of academic reputation though? At least on Doximity...

If Iowa is considered a much stronger program, I would take it, but I thought the two were pretty closely matched in terms of academic standing (thus making the decision harder)

I'm from Chicago so Iowa City is closer to home but Miami is more like home size-wise. I plan on returning to Chicago after I finish so while I'd prefer living in Miami, I don't mind Iowa City for four years. I thought the two programs were similar in terms of academic reputation though? At least on Doximity...

If Iowa is considered a much stronger program, I would take it, but I thought the two were pretty closely matched in terms of academic standing (thus making the decision harder)

Iowa is a much better program. Iowa city is a MUCH smaller city. Like seriously football stadiums hold more people than the whole city. If you are from Chicago and have not lived in a city of that size it might be a huge culture shock and the commute back to Chicago is not super easy unless you are ponying up for a flight.

Also, if you are planning to return to Chicago to practice, it makes a little more sense to train in the Midwest. The siren song of South Beach may tempt you to remain (until the next hurricane and rising sea levels eventually overcome it).

Also, if you are planning to return to Chicago to practice, it makes a little more sense to train in the Midwest. The siren song of South Beach may tempt you to remain (until the next hurricane and rising sea levels eventually overcome it).

Out of curiosity, how do you think it will help, since Iowa City is over 3 hour drive from Chicago?

I'm curious because I'll be job hunting next year, and wondering if connections/networking really happen once you are outside the city limits of your residency?

Out of curiosity, how do you think it will help, since Iowa City is over 3 hour drive from Chicago?

I'm curious because I'll be job hunting next year, and wondering if connections/networking really happen once you are outside the city limits of your residency?
It's just far more likely that someone you'd interview with in Chicago might be an Iowa alum, or "know someone there", or have heard positive word of mouth about the program than would be the case for a Miami program. Most people will naturally know more about programs in their region than in other parts of the country. Networking isn't *that* big of a deal, and I'm sure that if someone from FL really wanted to work in IL, or vice versa, they could easily make it happen--but we all tend to follow our natural affiliations.

Reactions: 1 users