Iowa vs Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Border Goat Bananas

Reaction score
Hi all! I have been accepted at Iowa State (I’m still in absolute shock I can say that) and am waiting to hear rank at Michigan. I’m also on the waitlist at Washington, but that’s my top choice 100% if I get pulled off.

If I am to get pulled off the Michigan waitlist, I told myself I’d go there over Iowa. My only reasoning behind this was that they seem to be more forgiving on if you did poorly in a class than Iowa. I have no intention to do poorly, but I cannot shake this out of my head and it terrifies me. Can anyone provide info that goes to Iowa?

I’m also looking to do food Animal/large animal. Could anyone offer insight on the programs at either Iowa or Michigan?

I’ve seen a few posts about Iowa offering a small amount of wiggle room for loans to live off of. Could anyone speak on this? I can see the issue with the COA on either school as the COL has changed drastically. I’m just unsure.

Regardless, I AM going to vet school. I just wonder which I should pick should I get pulled off the waitlist at Michigan this week. The tuition seems pretty comparable.

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve spoken to several students at MSU about large animal. They said the large animal student wish there was more, the small animal think it’s too much, but that clinical rotations can be altered to provide more large animal experience. Their large animal core rotation is 6 weeks.

Hi all! I have been accepted at Iowa State (I’m still in absolute shock I can say that) and am waiting to hear rank at Michigan. I’m also on the waitlist at Washington, but that’s my top choice 100% if I get pulled off.

If I am to get pulled off the Michigan waitlist, I told myself I’d go there over Iowa. My only reasoning behind this was that they seem to be more forgiving on if you did poorly in a class than Iowa. I have no intention to do poorly, but I cannot shake this out of my head and it terrifies me. Can anyone provide info that goes to Iowa?

I’m also looking to do food Animal/large animal. Could anyone offer insight on the programs at either Iowa or Michigan?

I’ve seen a few posts about Iowa offering a small amount of wiggle room for loans to live off of. Could anyone speak on this? I can see the issue with the COA on either school as the COL has changed drastically. I’m just unsure.

Regardless, I AM going to vet school. I just wonder which I should pick should I get pulled off the waitlist at Michigan this week. The tuition seems pretty comparable.
I'm currently living in Ames and I'm decently familiar with Iowa state I'd say it's probably one of the better schools for large animal because Iowa is so rural. There's also a large USDA facility here in Ames that offers alot of opportunity for internships or part time jobs. Also cost of living in Iowa is not bad at all.