Iowa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

su_grad2007

Texas A&M 2015
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm thinking that acceptances go out in February, but has anyone heard anything from Iowa State?

Members don't see this ad.

No, not even a "we have all of your stuff" email.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to Iowa last year and they sent e-mail notices out to everyone on February 15. This included acceptances, wait-listers, and rejections. I think that was the only time I heard from them. It's a good school and a great town. I went to undergrad there. Good luck!

I applied to Iowa last year and they sent e-mail notices out to everyone on February 15. This included acceptances, wait-listers, and rejections. I think that was the only time I heard from them. It's a good school and a great town. I went to undergrad there. Good luck!

Thanks mochavet! Congratulations on your acceptance!:D

I believe this year it stated everything was done by email again this year on Feb 15th as well. Arghhhh the wait ! =)

Notices will go out on February 15th. Patience is a virtue. Best of luck to you!

FYI: Next year (for the Class of 2012) there will be interviews!

What's the deal with Iowa's limited accreditation status?

The ISU School of Veterinary Science was founded in 1879, making it the first state-funded veterinary school in the nation. The two-year program was extended to three years in 1887. A reorganization in 1903 resulted in a four-year program, the first such program in the country. They are on limited accrediation due to very old facilities. They are in the process of building a new facility, which should put their status back to full. I think their website has more info on the building process and timeline. Hope that helps!

Does anyone else feel like February 15th is an eternity from now? :scared:

The day after valentine's day....yes it's forever. but I'd rather know that everyone knows, rather than expect trickling in and reading about ti on the board when you've heard nothing :)

Either wer'e gonna get a lotta love, or no love. I'd be happy with 'wait-listed' love at this point :)

Is anyone else feeling like this week has been the slowest ever! I really hate that they don't interview. I have no way to gage how I might do. I'd be happy with a waitlist at this point. Of course outright acceptance would be much better. Does anyone have any idea how many applications they had this year. I feel like I know less about this whole process at Iowa than for any other school I applied to. Back to studying and counting down the hours until tomorrow. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email from Iowa State says I am on the alternate list. I am glad I wasn't Flat out rejected.

Thanks for letting us know!!! I got accepted! whoo!

<-- Flat out rejected. 3 for 3 :(

I'm sorry to hear that philomycus :(

i'm so sorry philo... you've definitely showed that you worked hard to become so freaking well qualified and news like this makes me mad. :mad:

I'm so sorry philo...I was realllly pulling for you!

:love: Found out I was placed as an alternate... which I'm happy with!

Does anyone know how many alternates Iowa has and if they generally place them?

Sorry philo :( Not to offend the youngsters on here, but I was pulling for you as another oldie like myself. Taking classes and trying to find a 3rd job in vet science when you have a mortgage and teaching job and a million responsibilies is a hell of a lot harder than I think most of the applicants here realize. I don't mean to downplay anyone's experience of course, rejection hurts us all, but I can definitely empathize.

Alternate list!

:( I'm so sorry.

Don't give up. It took me a second try, and look at all my 9 rejection letters before I got the Kansas love.

Us oldies are goodies.

I got accepted. This is my only acceptance so far, and I'm so surprised that I'm half convinced it's all a joke and when the actual snail mail letter comes it will be a rejection. Also, I'm a little concerned about the limited accreditation status, since one of the reasons is low number of faculty in the teaching hospital. Other than that, it made my day.

From ISU CVM website:

Accreditation Status
The College of Veterinary Medicine is accredited by the Council of Education (COE) of the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). The COE administers the accreditation program under guidelines established by the U.S. Department of Education. Information about the AVMA-COE accreditation process can be found at http://www.avma.org/education/cvea/about_accred.asp. The 11 standards that the COE uses in the accreditation process can be observed at http://www.avma.org/education/cvea/coe_standard.asp.

The College of Veterinary Medicine experienced a COE accreditation site visit in 2003. A self-study report was prepared for the review and is available for download. As a result of that visit and review, the college was placed on limited accreditation for the first time in its 125 year history. The COE asked the college to address declining teaching hospital facilities, the need for a new isolation facility for animals with infectious diseases and the need to maintain appropriate numbers of clinical faculty in the teaching hospital. The COE report is a confidential document. Additional information on the report can be obtained from Dean John U. Thomson. The college is required to file annual interim reports (2004 Interim Report, 2005 Interim Report) to the COE on the progress that has been made in correcting the accreditation deficiencies. The COE has granted the college a two year extension in the time frame needed to correct the accreditation deficiencies. The college has embarked on new teaching hospital project for horses and food producing animals. This facility includes new isolation facilities as well as new imaging and intensive care facilities. The project also includes plans for extensive renovation of the existing teaching hospital and its conversion to primarily small animal clinical facility. Through new revenue initiatives, the college is addressing the faculty and staffing needs identified in the COE accreditation report.

rejected. Hating life at the moment :( Congratulations to everyone who got accepted

Also rejected :( Congrats to those who made it.

FYI....... I was waitlisted last year and was #138 on the list. I never got off the list. However, I e-mailed them and asked them what I should expect and they said that they typically get all the way up to #100 on the list, with some years less and some years more. There was a girl on another forum who was something like #76 and she did get in around April. Hope this helps!:)

Consolation to the rejected:

Wind from the NW (310 degrees) at 12 MPH (10 KT)
Temperature -7 F (-22 C)
Windchill -25 F (-32 C)

I live in Florida....the weather report makes me feel better :)

Come on Oklahoma, give me a nice B-day present!!

Alternate as well, how do we find out what number we are on the alternate list???:confused:

They will send youa letter via snail mail with that info in it.

Alternate as well, how do we find out what number we are on the alternate list???:confused:

This year's alternates are not ranked. As declines of offers are received from those who have received letters of admission, the committee/dean will review the list of alternates and make decisions as to who on the alternate list will receive offers of admission.

Good luck:luck:

This year's alternates are not ranked. As declines of offers are received from those who have received letters of reference, the committee/dean will review the list of alternates and make decisions as to who on the alternate list will receive offers of admission.

:scared:

This year's alternates are not ranked. As declines of offers are received from those who have received letters of admission, the committee/dean will review the list of alternates and make decisions as to who on the alternate list will receive offers of admission.

Hey... How'd you find that out? Kinda scary... but could be okay.

Hey... How'd you find that out? Kinda scary... but could be okay.

Found out from the Coordinator of Admissions at the school. This is what is being told to any of the alternates who call to ask where they are on the alternate list.

I am waitlisted at ISU too. I was surprised to learn they don't tell you your ranking this year, and I had no idea they had such high turnover on the wait list. Any ideas how many they waitlist?

I'm on the alternate list too. I called a few weeks ago and was told they will rank everyone after April 16. Maybe that just means "re-evaluate." Who knows...but I'll definately be on that phone April 17 to find out!