Ipad or Laptop?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tarheelidoc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do most people use to take notes? Do different schools have different tech requirements? I'm looking at SCO, and was wondering what the note-taking experience is like there?

Members don't see this ad.

Laptop is always a safe option. iPad can be cheaper than or just as much as a laptop, but can lack some functionality.
I'd pick a laptop unless you have an old laptop you can use, then an iPad may be useful.

I go to SCO and I have both. Some of the professors have notes already typed out for us on OneNote, and I love using my iPad/Apple pen to draw sketches and fill in any other details they mention in lecture. I prefer my Mac for the faster-paced classes since I can type more quickly than I can write. If I had to choose one, though, I’d probably stick with my MacBook since I think it has more capability. Plus all our exams are online...some people take their exams on an iPad but that seems kind of difficult to me

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same question when coming to optometry school. I chose to just stick with my laptop bc thats has worked for me in the past, I was worried about the limited functionality of an iPad, and didn't want to spend the extra money if I didnt have to.

After half a semester in school I was tired of the limitations of my laptop and decided to get an ipad as well. Some professor will have slides with diagrams that they lecture about and its extremely helpful to be able to draw an arrow to things! Also, I didnt not realize how much math there would be in optometry school. Regardless of what school, optics is extremely math based, and a few other classes may also have math based problem sets you need to write out. I was originally using paper and doing practice problems that way.

Now with my ipad I never have to carry paper! There are many apps that I could use that have notebooks I can take handwritten notes on. I still use my laptop and use my ipad as my all in one notebook of notes, homework, lab manuals, and ebooks! I know many people who do not use their laptop at all anymore. I still find it useful, as it does have complete functionality of a laptop but the newer versions of the ipad may?

Reactions: 1 user
How about a Surface pro? It can be a tablet that can do more functions than an iPad while being able to function like a laptop too. But, check with the schools you're applying too because some schools require you to buy an iPad.