Ipad pro 2018 or surface pro 6 as only computing device

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschol12344321

Reaction score
Hey guys, ill be attending medical school in the fall and wondering what type of computing device I should go with. I havent chosen a school yet but the requirements for each school im considering doesnt specify either way. Im open to either type of device and have had an ipad pro before so I know the limitations. I have an iphone but that really wouldnt prevent me from getting the surface pro. Im looking to get some advice from people who are already in med school and have experience with one or both of these devices

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, ill be attending medical school in the fall and wondering what type of computing device I should go with. I havent chosen a school yet but the requirements for each school im considering doesnt specify either way. Im open to either type of device and have had an ipad pro before so I know the limitations. I have an iphone but that really wouldnt prevent me from getting the surface pro. Im looking to get some advice from people who are already in med school and have experience with one or both of these devices

Having had both I’d say they’re pretty similar. I’d try to use both in the store and see which you prefer. My biggest issue with iOS is that I can’t run statistical programs (like SAS) easily, so I have to keep a Surface just for that, so make sure you don’t have any programs you need that will only run on one operating system. As far as note taking, I find the iPad Pro is better with handwriting notes than the Surface, but others may disagree. I also like the look and feel of the iPad Pro, which I know is silly, but it does make me want to use it more.

Reactions: 1 users
Having had both I’d say they’re pretty similar. I’d try to use both in the store and see which you prefer. My biggest issue with iOS is that I can’t run statistical programs (like SAS) easily, so I have to keep a Surface just for that, so make sure you don’t have any programs you need that will only run on one operating system. As far as note taking, I find the iPad Pro is better with handwriting notes than the Surface, but others may disagree. I also like the look and feel of the iPad Pro, which I know is silly, but it does make me want to use it more.
Thanks for your reply! Yeah I definetly think theyre both great, im just wondering how much actual typing is done is med school (first 2 years). I want to take notes on a tablet but it does seem like if youre typing alot having to reach up and touch the screen with the ipad may be cumbersome.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the same position, and decided to try out the iPad Pro. Still learning how to use the latest features, but it looks great so far! :)

I have an iPad pro and I can't imagine having it as my only device. Why not get a laptop if you can only have one? There are laptops that let you write on the screen

Yeah, I totally get your point about typing. If you’re going to be spending a lot, maybe it’s worth it to get a refurbished or used MacBook? I don’t find handwriting notes to be that useful that I would chose having a tablet over a fully functional computer.

lol what's with these tech questions today. Surface pro no doubt. iPad pro is marketed as a computer replacement, but it's not. It runs iOS. The surface is also more durable. The new iPad folds like cardboard.

Surface pro. You cant even use full desktop apps on an Ipad.

What if you do research? You will probably need a full desktop app for that.

I have a surface Pro 4, and it still runs perfectly (except my cracked screen). The only issue I have with it is the noise while charging, but I am sure they have mediated this problem with the 6th version. I love it to take notes and it is super compact. It's basically a laptop.

I used the surface pro 5 throughout my rigorous science master's program, and plan on using it in medical school. Absolutely love it. My friend used an ipad to begin the master's and actually bought the Surface Book midway through due to superior note taking and function capabilities.