Other OT-Related Information iPad pro OR pen and paper for taking notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FINGERS_CROSSED

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I prepare for OT school (yay!), I am considering buying an iPad pro, apple pencil, and keyboard to take notes instead of the old fashioned pen and paper way. Being able to write notes is essential (although I may sporadically use the keyboard) and I think having everything on one device would make things easier and lighter. Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of these apple products? Pros and cons? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I used a Microsoft surface in undergrad and I love it for taking notes! Can't speak about the iPad but I'm sure it would be great too!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Research actually supports handwritten note-taking for increased retention of material. Just a thought ;).

Members don't see this ad :)
Research actually supports handwritten note-taking for increased retention of material. Just a thought ;).

Thanks for your input. Does the act of "hand writing" on an iPad (using apple pencil) not fall into that category? Also, I wonder about how my eyes would hold up to looking at a screen constantly.

Our program was primarily powerpoint-based, so we could download them and add notes during lectures. Some people printed them out and wrote notes by hand, but most typed on a computer. We also shared many documents as a class using google docs. I've had problems using google docs and powerpoint successfully on an iPad, but I'm not much of an Apple person to begin with. I bought a cheap chromebook laptop and it worked great for me!

I've been wondering about this too. I used a surface 3 and surface pen (and a keyboard) in the last few classes of my undergrad and it was such a big help and SO much easier to stay organized. The app "one note" was perfect for me and being able to type and write on the screen with the pen was great. The app can be downloaded and used on any device or computer so that was a plus too. I'll definitely be using my surface again once ot school starts in may !

I used my iPad while completing OT prereqs recently and loved it. I always carried some paper with me in the event that there was a diagram I had to draw, but I probably could have just downloaded an app for that. I was able to download powerpoint slides and it was really convenient to have notes and all of my resources on one device. Not to mention that you can do a quick search if you're looking for a specific section. It also gave me the chance to study virtually anywhere if I had a spare minute. Another classmate also took notes via iPad so we were able to send each other notes if one of us was sick or unable to attend class. If you're trying to save some money, I bought an Amazon brand bluetooth keyboard for about half the price of the Apple keyboard and it has been working great for years now.