iPads + PC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

looptheloop

Toasted_Sesame_Bagel
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Incoming MS1 over here trying to figure out how to get the best bang for my buck in terms of computers and note-taking. I have a Windows laptop that's quite heavy (don't get 17" screens, kids) and approaching geriatric age. It is still in good working order overall, but I would rather not carry it back and forth every day. Originally, I was planning on getting a Surface Pro, but that was before I realized how big of an expense moving to a different state would be...

Luckily, my school will give us iPads. I have no idea which model, but I assume it'll be plenty good enough for note-taking. I will invest in an Apple Pencil, but really can't afford much else at the moment. My plan is to just carry the iPad to and from class/home and to leave my laptop at home. For the most part, I am a PC girl through-and-through, but there's no denying that syncing between Mac systems is so much better. So, what is the best (and most efficient) way to make sure my notes sync up as seamlessly as possible with this setup? Are there any apps that work better for this purpose than others? On the flip side, is it worth investing in a refurbished MacBook just for the sake of easier note-taking, or can I get away with my current setup?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Incoming MS1 over here trying to figure out how to get the best bang for my buck in terms of computers and note-taking. I have a Windows laptop that's quite heavy (don't get 17" screens, kids) and approaching geriatric age. It is still in good working order overall, but I would rather not carry it back and forth every day. Originally, I was planning on getting a Surface Pro, but that was before I realized how big of an expense moving to a different state would be...

Luckily, my school will give us iPads. I have no idea which model, but I assume it'll be plenty good enough for note-taking. I will invest in an Apple Pencil, but really can't afford much else at the moment. My plan is to just carry the iPad to and from class/home and to leave my laptop at home. For the most part, I am a PC girl through-and-through, but there's no denying that syncing between Mac systems is so much better. So, what is the best (and most efficient) way to make sure my notes sync up as seamlessly as possible with this setup? Are there any apps that work better for this purpose than others? On the flip side, is it worth investing in a refurbished MacBook just for the sake of easier note-taking, or can I get away with my current setup?

Thanks!
I have an iPad Pro that I got for grad school. I don’t own a laptop, but I have a desktop PC at home, one at work, access to PC computer labs at school, etc.

Notability is the best note taking app, IMO. You can import PowerPoints, take notes on them with a keyboard or Apple Pencil, and simultaneously record lectures that sync later to jump to whatever note you took at that point in the recording during playback. The notes are searchable, even the handwritten ones, and you can set the app up to automatically sync with google drive, Dropbox, one drive, etc. so that saving/syncing notes isn’t something you have to remember.

Reactions: 1 user
I have an iPad Pro that I got for grad school. I don’t own a laptop, but I have a desktop PC at home, one at work, access to PC computer labs at school, etc.

Notability is the best note taking app, IMO. You can import PowerPoints, take notes on them with a keyboard or Apple Pencil, and simultaneously record lectures that sync later to jump to whatever note you took at that point in the recording during playback. The notes are searchable, even the handwritten ones, and you can set the app up to automatically sync with google drive, Dropbox, one drive, etc.

Ah, that's amazing! So, in other words...my problem really isn't a problem at all? :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Thanks!

Make sure to find out if your school is giving a pro or a mini. My school gave us minis and they don’t work with Apple pencils.

As far as what I used, I bought an iPad pro and a pencil and used it a ton for anatomy and I also had a new MacBook. I bought the app notability and definitely recommend it. After anatomy ended, I haven’t really used my iPad since, but several classmates have continued to use their iPads (both the school or their personal ones). I would either get an iPad and a MacBook or just get the tablet/computer windows thing - I don’t remember what it’s called haha.

Our school gave us iPads and I take notes with a pencil on it. I have a MacBook Air that I prefer typing notes on when I need to, but I bought a $30 iPad case that came with a mini keyboard and that works on days when I don't feel like bringing my laptop, so I'm sure you could just do that if you want to type stuff. I use OneNote-- it's free, it's what I used in undergrad so I didn't have to learn to use Notability, and I haven't had any issues thus far.

On this topic, do y'all recommend the 12.9 inch iPad pro or 11 inch? I already have a 13 inch macbook air that I'll also be taking.

On this topic, do y'all recommend the 12.9 inch iPad pro or 11 inch? I already have a 13 inch macbook air that I'll also be taking.
I think I have the smaller one, and it’s plenty big, unless you multitask a lot.

Awesome advice, guys. Thanks so much!

@Nathan17182 , they give us just the normal iPads (neither pro nor mini), which should work with the first gen Apple Pencil. I did think about getting a SurfacePro but, like a MacBook Pro, it is not cheap. I think I might try saving up a little bit each month, though, and then getting a MacBook or a SurfacePro if I find the iPad/PC combo just doesn't cut it for me. I am really glad to hear that both OneNote and Notability work well for multiple people!

I'll look around for a good keyboard case, too. For the stylus, I'll definitely go with the Apple Pencil because I can trust that to work well. But what about for a keyboard case? Probably not as critical to stick with the fancy Apple brand ones, right?

I'll look around for a good keyboard case, too. For the stylus, I'll definitely go with the Apple Pencil because I can trust that to work well. But what about for a keyboard case? Probably not as critical to stick with the fancy Apple brand ones, right?
Definitely not. Get one from Amazon.

• Love
Hi all,

Thanks!
MacBook + iPad, both using notability is 10/10 clutch. The OS’s work together really well too, and you can get refurbished MacBook air’s for a reasonable price!

I have a PC laptop/desktop and the 11 inch iPad Pro/pencil. I use Notability and sync straight from the app to Google Drive. Works like a charm, never had a single issue crossing OS’s. I also bought a case off amazon for $30 that came with a Bluetooth keyboard, and a slot to case the pencil too. Deff avoid Apple branded accessories, there are plenty of less expensive options out there.