adpitan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
Pre-Medical
I have a PC, Windows XP. I bought a USB 2.0 card and it is recognizing everything. I bought an Ipod which the card recognized once and downloaded my music to the Ipod. Now it's not recognizing the Ipod and when I put the Ipod into the dock it makes this error sound. The Ipod has been formatted for Windows but I can't link it back to my PC for some reason. I don't even get the disconnect window anymore. Can someone please, please help!

BTW I believe very strongly I will be converting to mac but I'm not ready to buy a new computer yet. I want to wait until the summer since I know they are always coming out with new things. Or does someone have a suggestion as to why I should buy a new computer now? I'm open to suggestions, something other than the my Ipod not connecting to my PC :D

Thanks!

southerndoc

life is good
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2002
Atlanta
Status
Attending Physician
First of all, did you set your iPod to also act as a computer disk? If so, then you must use the disconnect feature in the Windows taskbar before you disconnect the iPod's cables (everytime, no exception).

The other option is to download the latest iPod software, restore the iPod to its original settings using the downloaded software (this will erase all of your songs), and then hook the iPod back up to your computer. Hopefully that will solve it. If not, then take it back for a new one and see if that one will work. If that doesn't work, then I guess you'll have to call Apple Computer.

OP
adpitan

adpitan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
Pre-Medical
southerndoc said:
First of all, did you set your iPod to also act as a computer disk? If so, then you must use the disconnect feature in the Windows taskbar before you disconnect the iPod's cables (everytime, no exception).

The other option is to download the latest iPod software, restore the iPod to its original settings using the downloaded software (this will erase all of your songs), and then hook the iPod back up to your computer. Hopefully that will solve it. If not, then take it back for a new one and see if that one will work. If that doesn't work, then I guess you'll have to call Apple Computer.

For the first question I wouldn't know how to do that...so this means it's possible. How would I find this out?

How would I know if I have the latest software? I downloaded 2/22/05 updater, is that the same thing?

The next part is I can't reset my ipod. I will hold the menu button and I can't get the apple logo to appear. Does this mean it's broken?

Thanks for your help!

twiga

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Status
"restore the iPod to its original settings using the downloaded software"

That is what I would do first and foremost. Note that you could lose all your songs. Good luck.

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
If you have the songs in iTunes, they should reload once you've got the settings changed.

OP
adpitan

adpitan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
Pre-Medical
twiga said:
"restore the iPod to its original settings using the downloaded software"

That is what I would do first and foremost. Note that you could lose all your songs. Good luck.

How do I do this? :confused: I can't even hold the menu button down to get the apple logo to appear. Does this mean I broke it?

OP
adpitan

adpitan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
Pre-Medical
I think my ipod is possessed. I haven't touched it in a couple of days and when I just touched it the apple logo appeared and it loaded into the doc and the ipod appeared into the itunes bar :confused: :confused:

Oh, well...thanks for the help