Technology iPod Shuffle, iTunes, and Win XP

Started by Apollyon
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Friend got me one as a gift, and pre-loaded it. Now, though, I'm having a known problem, but known fixes aren't working.

XP recognizes it when it's docked, but iTunes doesn't. I've uninstalled iTunes, stopped and started iPod services, and use the MS Cleanup tool. The Shuffle itself works just fine - I just want to know what's on it.

Any help? Seems like a lot of people online have asked the questions, but the answers are techie (and rather sparse on info).
 
Friend got me one as a gift, and pre-loaded it. Now, though, I'm having a known problem, but known fixes aren't working.

XP recognizes it when it's docked, but iTunes doesn't. I've uninstalled iTunes, stopped and started iPod services, and use the MS Cleanup tool. The Shuffle itself works just fine - I just want to know what's on it.

Any help? Seems like a lot of people online have asked the questions, but the answers are techie (and rather sparse on info).
If you can link to one of those answers I might be able to fill in the blanks or distill it so it makes sense in a non-techie way.

If not, I still have some general suggestions that may work. You'd think after 15+ years USB would work better than this... at least it's better than it was when it first came out *weeps quietly when thinking about USB in the early 90's*
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The weirdest thing is that iTunes even brings up the name of the shuffle, saying "(my) iPod shuffle is synced to another account", and iTunes opened automatically today when I plugged my iPod in, but it still doesn't show up in the sources pane.

strange. there are a multitude of things you can try, but there are five that usually solve most problems. reset, retry, restart, reinstall, restore. I think the only one you havent tried that would probably make a difference is restore. BUT, just know that you will lose the music on the ipod. This will most likely solve the problem because it resets the ipod to factory settings so it is "like new" and will be recognized as a new ipod and not as "synced to another computer". heres the link for resetting the shuffle...good luck👍

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/shuffle2gen/#
 
I've thought about that. Some more interesting stuff - I plugged it into a different USB port, and ran the diagnostics - now it even detects the iPod, but it still doesn't show up on the sources pane.

I'm doing more of the research that I should have in the first place. Thanks for the help so far!