Technology iPod Touch 2g As PDA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jay04002

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am thinking about buying an iPod Touch 2g as my pda for the rotations, as many of you think that on rotations generally you dont need a pda. so why not buy an ipod and use it as pda;);)...but anyone out there got this brillian idea:laugh::laugh: and put lexi and epocrates on it?? any bugs or glitches that you experienced since lexi just came out with ipod version??

thank you for your help...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most iPhone apps are compatible with the iPod Touch since the Touch does have wifi it can get connected and do browsing and email (i think). The only iPhone apps that won't be compatible are the ones that require either a phone, an external speaker, or a microphone. I think it would be a great PDA. It's a lot more than an iPod.

You really want to carry around a phone and a honking iPod touch all the time with your pockets already full of equipment? What if you don't have good WiFi reception in certain areas?

You really want to carry around a phone and a honking iPod touch all the time with your pockets already full of equipment? What if you don't have good WiFi reception in certain areas?

i wanted to use ipod touch as a PDA with lexi and epocrates on it so dont really need the wifi (i think) but you guys know better who already had or are doing rotations and stuff...so what do you guys think buy an ipod touch, Palm TX or iPaq 111 as my pda???

Well, some schools require a certain list of PDA programs (ex. TCOM) and some require Windows Mobile, so the iPhone and the touch will not work. If you're looking for just supplements to rotations and whatnot, I guess it would be up to what other features you want from it. Would it be nice to have that mp3 player handy too?

Well, some schools require a certain list of PDA programs (ex. TCOM) and some require Windows Mobile, so the iPhone and the touch will not work. If you're looking for just supplements to rotations and whatnot, I guess it would be up to what other features you want from it. Would it be nice to have that mp3 player handy too?

first of all thank you for the reply i really appreciate it...but my pharmacy school has no requirements for the PDA because of the reason that as long as lexi is compatible with the pda you are good... and i have verizon and just upgraded my phone so stuck with em for 2 more years and cant get iphone (unless they offer one soon) and ipod touch is the closest thing to iphone without the bluetooth and calling features and that is the reason i want to use ipod touch as my pda as long as everything is compatible and without any bugs...hahahhah

i am thinking about buying an iPod Touch 2g as my pda for the rotations, as many of you think that on rotations generally you dont need a pda. so why not buy an ipod and use it as pda;);)...but anyone out there got this brillian idea:laugh::laugh: and put lexi and epocrates on it?? any bugs or glitches that you experienced since lexi just came out with ipod version??

i wouldn't do it. i have an iphone with epocrates and it takes a good 10 seconds to load from the home screen, then it there's the whole issue with typing in the name of the drug (virtual keyboard is annoying at times).

I have a 5 year old PDA that does the job much better and faster.

But it is pretty cool to be able to listen to music on breaks... :laugh:

Applying to med school now so I can't be in your shoes exactly, but I can tell you what my experiences have been with the Palm TX. I've been using Palm since my 2000 Palm V, 2003 Palm C, and my TX when it first came out. I've loved palm, but I've gradually been looking for new solutions after my Palm C had a run-in with a 2x4 =(

The TX is pretty nice (eg, good battery life, plays mp3s (very well, imho), (I don't attempt videos...never bothered to figure out how), wifi is pretty good, office support is great, calendar is nice and colorcoded, it supports SD cards!! =), standard headphone jack, alarm is really good, epocrates supported. I dropped my C and TX multiple times (even using the stnd screen cover) and never had problems. Even concrete from an open schoolbag! :eek:

However, I find that:
1) Address book - great, but what computers will you sync it with? I have a computer at home that I sync mine with Wifi. It syncs quickly, but then I don't have my work schedule at home. So I go to work, different computer - I have to sync it there. Google calendar (even using the Google Calendar sync) has not even synced up my calendar for many of my appointments after multiple sync attempts. Therefore unless you REALLY like using the on-screen keyboard, it will be better to sync with a laptop that you carry around with you. If you don't, its a pain, imho

2) (depends if you need it) Bluetooth...kinda. I bought the TX a few years ago with the hopes of moving towards a few devices that have bluetooth. My new cellphone (LG Decoy) does, but guess what? Palm stopped updating the software for phones. The last update allows for bluetooth support with the Razor....

3) High cost with almost no manufacturer support. Seriously. I bought this almost 4 years ago. My wife had to buy this about 2 years ago for nursing school. I had to pay the SAME AMOUNT for her as mine for 2 year old hardware!!! Tack on the fact that Palm does very little with support anymore other than the basics. For example, it works with Office 2007, but the browser is still lousy and Palm stopped doing application and OS updates when the Palm V was reining the PDA market. It took me about 2 minutes on Palm's site to even FIND the TX's main page. :mad:

4) I used to be an ace at Graffitti and I thought that the new version would make me even better. Not so. I cringe using it anymore since Graffitti 2 came out. Forget about using the OSKeyboard without a stylist. Using the OSK with numbers+letters is very frustrating - Can't I NOT have a international key on my keyboard!?!?

5) Wifi is pretty good, but occasionally it doesn't work depending on the institution. For instance, at my undergrad institution, I can only connect on the free networks. For ppl using laptops, they can connect using the proper security (can't remember, and I can't find TX specs) with their registered device. For a REGISTERED TX though, it's not possible to connect to the secured network. At all. So unless I am in the library, or at home, I can't connect. Toss in the so-so browser (not anything CLOSE to the modern iphone/pre-like browser), and I hardly use wifi unless I'm syncing. Oh, btw, forget about using wifi to stream mp3s....

6) No vibrate. Its low or its off :(

So I'm very curious about the Pre, but I've been burned by the Palm and the TX before. Twice:mad::mad::mad:. And I'm an IT major, used Palm for a while, and researched the balls off of anything I buy. Palm has one more shot left with me and Pre is it...:xf:

...But the iTouch is looking very attractive (Netter's flash cards) and the iPhone is, too, if I want to drop an arm and a leg on access charges....

I have an iPhone and an AT&T Tilt. Right now, I wouldn't depend on your iPod Touch as your sole PDA. The amount of software available is pretty low. What they do have that would even be useful for the wards is:

* Epocrates Essentials
* Skyscape
*Lexi-Comp

To be honest, epocrates is not as full featured as I would like, and neither is Lexi-Comp (they pale in comparison to UpToDate). Skyscape is actually pretty tight because you can load books like Surgical Recall and Harrison's Textbook of Medicine, but Skyscape has decided to screw iPhone users and charge them yearly for the same book (which they dont' do for the same titles on WM or Palm). So you'll be seriously coming out of pocket for Skyscape on the iPhone.

And the big kicker for me is that UptoDate is not on the Iphone/iPod Touch and the company has no plans for it to be. Yeah, you can view the online version on your iPhone, but if your hospital is like mine, cell phone reception tends to be spotty, and there is no Wifi.

Trust me...I desire to ditch my WM phone and use my iPhone solely as my medical machine :), but the iPhone simply isn't ready yet. So I'll be carrying my WM phone with me on the wards.