Ippe/appe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marchmagnolia

Accepted
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may seem like a silly question...but does anyone know if the IPPE (Intro Pharm Practice Experience) and the APPE (Advanced Pharm Practice Experience) are paid experiences? Or do we pay tuition to the Pharmacy School/Rotation site for the experience?

I know the students are responsible for their travel and accommodation costs, but is there any potential for remuneration ?

The reason I ask is because under the F1 student status I will not be allowed to work off-campus or for more than 20 hours a week and I want to know if the IPPE/APPE is considered "work" or Curricular/Optional Practical Training or neither...

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This may seem like a silly question...but does anyone know if the IPPE (Intro Pharm Practice Experience) and the APPE (Advanced Pharm Practice Experience) are paid experiences? Or do we pay tuition to the Pharmacy School/Rotation site for the experience?

I know the students are responsible for their travel and accommodation costs, but is there any potential for remuneration or potential job offers?

thanks!

LOL

unpaid.

Not only are they unpaid, but also in some schools you actually have to pay more for rotation year than other years (since it's considered more credits).

Members don't see this ad :)

I know the students are responsible for their travel and accommodation costs, but is there any potential for remuneration ?

The reason I ask is because under the F1 student status I will not be allowed to work off-campus or for more than 20 hours a week and I want to know if the IPPE/APPE is considered "work" or Curricular/Optional Practical Training or neither...

thanks!

You do pay the site in most cases for their time. However, not all schools do this... LECOM-Erie being the example which makes it hard to find rotational sites since the preceptors themselves would not be benefiting taking on extra students. :confused: Still don't have my rotation site at home... probably going to end up driving 30 minutes to get to the site. Eh, it's part of life.

does anyone know if the IPPE (Intro Pharm Practice Experience) and the APPE (Advanced Pharm Practice Experience) are paid experiences?

2wh2djs.gif

You do pay the site in most cases for their time. However, not all schools do this... LECOM-Erie being the example which makes it hard to find rotational sites since the preceptors themselves would not be benefiting taking on extra students. :confused: Still don't have my rotation site at home... probably going to end up driving 30 minutes to get to the site. Eh, it's part of life.

You're making it sound like you don't have to pay tuition for your rotations at LECOM.

thanks!

IPPE hours are done from P1 to P3 and APPE during your P4 year... You dont get paid and you still pay the tuition. Im also an F1 student going to a pharmacy school in PA. Send me a PM if you have more questions.

thanks!

LOL! We pay to work on IPPEs/APPEs.

f.gif

OKAY OKAY!!!
I think we get the idea...quit joshing the newbie :laugh:

You're making it sound like you don't have to pay tuition for your rotations at LECOM.

I most definitely pay the school but the school doesn't pay the sites in most cases. Hence, it makes getting IPPE sites harder. I hear its a little better with APPE because you don't have to have someone ride herd to you all the time and you know more.