IQ/ intelligence testing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MysteryDiagnosis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can psychiatrists administer and give results for IQ tests and various other neuropsych tests to measure intelligence?

Members don't see this ad.

A trained monkey can administer an IQ test. May want to have the background to interpret it. Although, in the majority of clinical contexts, merely doing IQ testing is generally a worthless endeavor.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can psychiatrists administer and give results for IQ tests and various other neuropsych tests to measure intelligence?

Can? Yes. Properly interpret in a clinical context that makes it relevant or beneficial to the patient's treatment/treatment planning? Not without formal training and supervision...just like the rest of us.

A trained monkey can administer an IQ test. May want to have the background to interpret it. Although, in the majority of clinical contexts, merely doing IQ testing is generally a worthless endeavor.

But...how else are we going to prove how smart we are?! :)

Can? Yes. Properly interpret in a clinical context that makes it relevant or beneficial to the patient's treatment/treatment planning? Not without formal training and supervision...just like the rest of us.

Maybe I read your reply wrong but I am confused of what you were saying in you're reply. You stated they yes, they can but then stated that they cannot properly interpret and apply.

But...how else are we going to prove how smart we are?! :)

By "winning" arguments throughout various social media outlets. We'll start a leaderboard.

Maybe I read your reply wrong but I am confused of what you were saying in you're reply. You stated they yes, they can but then stated that they cannot properly interpret and apply.

I believe that he was referring to the idea that almost anyone can administer and deliver results But, you need to be trained to properly interpret the validity of the results and place them into the proper clinical context.

Reactions: 1 user

Yes, as in its allowed. No, as in they wouldn't know how to do it correctly

Yes, as in its allowed. No, as in they wouldn't know how to do it correctly

Allowed, yes, technically. Depends on the insurance. Some panels credential you to bill for certain billing codes based on your training and such, and require documentation to that if you plan on billing for that. Going to vary by state and even within state by panel.

Damnit. I think you just passed me on the leaderboard. ;)

I don't know, I don't have a Twitter or Instagram account, and I haven't signed on to Facebook in over 6 months. I'm probably easily in the bottom 10% on my own made up leaderboard. SDN is the only thing keeping me from single digit percentile rank.

I am one of the rare psychiatrists who does some psychological testing and interpretation (and have had some training in in psychometrics etc) but I would never administer or interpret a WAIS or other intelligence testing. IQ testing can be hugely helpful in certain situations as part of more comprehensive assessment and psychological/neuropsychological testing and we don't use it enough but psychiatrists in general have neither the training nor the inclination to do this kind of thing themselves. I could learn how to do so but it would not be worth my time, and I can mostly ask one of my psychologists to do this for me and they would do a much better job of it and consider what additional testing may also be indicated for such testing to be useful and valid.

What types of psychological testing do you do? Any neuropsych tests?

And where did you get the psychometric training, in residency? Did you have to become certified or whatever? And how long was it?

HealthInfo, you got to stop asking the same questions on the boards, man. Also, people do things that aren't trained to do in healthcare all of the time.

U replied to the wrong link... this is mystery diagnosis.

U replied to the wrong link... this is mystery diagnosis.

Either we have two posters who ask essentially the same question every now and then, and also respond very similarly, or it's the same person. My money is on the more parsimonious choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Either we have two posters who ask essentially the same question every now and then, and also respond very similarly, or it's the same person. My money is on the more parsimonious choice.

This is actually the third account I have seen, and whoever it is posts the same questiiqu in relevant subreddits. At first I accepted the theory that it is an undergrad just trying to get the board to do their homework for them but there is an odd obsessional quality to this.