IR and medical student interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IR Education

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I found a pretty interesting article about medical student education in interventional radiology. It basically states that there is a projected shortage of IR physicians in North America and that one problem is a lack of exposure since there are IR rotations tend to be very limited if they’re even offered. The authors also cite a lack of IR role models for medical students and (apparently) the perception of radiologists being antisocial as contributing factors to the lack of interest.

Another point brought up in the article is that image-guided techniques in other specialties (such as cardiology and vascular surgery) may confuse some medical students with regard to which fields offer the best opportunities in training for and performing these procedures. The study conducted in the article surveyed 729 students from 21 states and found that only 5.5% of students had participated in an IR rotation even though 58% were interested in a “hands-on” or procedural career. The survey results also illustrated that most respondents were unable to answer many basic questions about procedures performed by interventional radiologists, which suggests large misconceptions about the field. Other surveys of European, American, and Canadian medical students show similar results: a large proportion of students don’t associate radiologists with the performance of interventional procedures.

As you’ve already probably figured out, these findings suggest that the field would benefit greatly from a structured experience during clinical education akin to many surgical subspecialties like ENT, ophthalmology, and urology. The results demonstrating a relative lack of interest in IR are especially concerning not only because of the predicted shortage of IR physicians in the near future, but also because of a future referral base that has limited knowledge of what kind of procedures an IR physician is trained to do. It’s also important to note that the study design had a potentially large bias due to the fact that responses were voluntary, which may mean that the results may be skewed based on a higher proportion of respondents already interested in radiology.

Here’s the article. You can easily find it on PubMed:
Nissim L, Krupinski E, Hunter T, Taljanovic M. Exposure to, understanding of, and interest in interventional radiology in American medical students. Acad Radiol 2013; 4: 493-499.

Members don't see this ad.

Since you mentioned predicted shortage of IR doctors twice, I feel I have to give an answer.

When I was a resident in mid 2000s, the same people were predicting huge huge shortage of radiologists in the near future. Even some were talking about critical shortage. Just in less than 5 years, graduates had really hard time finding a job.

Looking at the past can be helpful. I personally do not see any shortage of IR doctors or any other medical field in the near future. In fact, there is a surplus in most fields and I don't see any huge innovations in the foreseeable future to change the market dramatically. I have heard such statements since college and I am now experienced enough to call all of them BS. There is obviously surplus of doctors in most fields including radiology and IR and it will not change any time soon.

You mentioned a relative shortage of IR electives for medical students. If you go on VSAS you can search by IR and find a list of over 30 electives at various institutions. There are even more than that that aren't listed on VSAS since the institution doesn't use it. Electives are out there, you just have to look.