IR and patient contact

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CutIt

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone interested in radiology but who dislike the limited-nonexistent patient contact, is IR a solution? Meaning is their patient contact comparable to that of a surgeon (surgical workup, do procedure, f/u post-op) or is it just pretty much being called by another service to do a procedure on one of their patients and then leave?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd also like the answer to this one :)

Many IRs now run clinics and admit patients to the hospital including post procedure care.

If you so desperately crave patient contact, radiology may not be a good choice. Remember the residency is four years with only 3-4 months of IR rotations. THe rest will be diagnostic rotations (sitting in a dark, cold, boring room seprated from society and the world). You may be very miserable as you see your medicine cronies having abundant rewarding and exhilarating patient contact.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by oldandtired
Many IRs now run clinics and admit patients to the hospital including post procedure care.

Many? I think that's exagerating things a bit, especially outside of teaching institutions

my minimal experience in IR felt as though there was only minimal contact with the patient. you may do a preop workup, etc, but it's pretty much it. The patient, though slightly less sedated, is much like a surgical patient. But at least in surgery, there were rounds to see the patients...IR didn't have rounds to speak of...so, correct me if I'm wrong, but there wasn't much interaction.

I think there was more interaction with patients during GU/GI! So, if that's what you want, you may want to do something else...unless you're a MS-IV, then it's too late. :p