Iranian, 31P, 3.73,Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mz10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to know what you all think about my chances of getting into med school? I have a 3.73 GPA for both, plus or minus .01 and my MCAT was V 9 PS 12 BS10 P. Not too happy with my Bio...

Anyway, I have volunteered at a hospital since Oct 06 and have shadowed a doc for the last 6 months. Just began to volunteer at a low cost clinic for the uninsured, and did research for 2 and a half years, plus I got a major research scholarship.

I'm worried about my chances. What do you think? I'm too scared to retake the MCAT...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I wanted to know what you all think about my chances of getting into med school? I have a 3.73 GPA for both, plus or minus .01 and my MCAT was V 9 PS 12 BS10 P. Not too happy with my Bio...

Anyway, I have volunteered at a hospital since Oct 06 and have shadowed a doc for the last 6 months. Just began to volunteer at a low cost clinic for the uninsured, and did research for 2 and a half years, plus I got a major research scholarship.

I'm worried about my chances. What do you think? I'm too scared to retake the MCAT...

I think your MCAT is fine, and GPA is excellent...and sounds like u have both clinical and research experience. So I think you will definately get in somewhere

If you could do better, I would recommend retaking the MCAT, esp since you are an overrepresented minority.

Members don't see this ad :)
overrepresented minority? what is that, and what does it tell ad comms? Just curious...

overrepresented minority? what is that, and what does it tell ad comms? Just curious...

It just means the OP represents a minority which does not qualify for URM status.

ORM=minority group that makes up a higher percentage of the physician population relative to their population in US. Ex. Indians, Iranians, Asians, Jewish ppl(but I think they are just classified as Caucasian/white).

If you could do better, I would recommend retaking the MCAT, esp since you are an overrepresented minority.

This is a stupid tip since you could do worse and put yourself in a way worse position than you are in now. 30+ is sufficient to get into a US allo, nuff said.

This is a stupid tip since you could do worse and put yourself in a way worse position than you are in now. 30+ is sufficient to get into a US allo, nuff said.

What part of "If you could do better" didnt you understand?

Being Iranian is not going to necessarely facilitate an admission (only Underrepresented Minorities have an advantage). However, medical schools seek unique individuals. The fact that you are from another country and prospered in America says a lot about your character (since you mentioned your ethnicity on the post, I'm assuming that you're banking on your minority status). Moving from another country and acculturating to American lifestyle is a very difficult task. Moreover, America is growing in diversity and the medical profession acknowledges that cultural competence is of growing importance. Since you're a minority, it's very difficult to question your cultural competence or your ability to relate to individuals of different socioeconomic status, interests, and etc. So it's not about Iranians or other mionorities (unless you're Mexican, Native American, etc.) lacking in medical school, it's about the open mindedness and culture they bring to a class. Relating to patients is very important, and I personally believe it's a lot easier when you're raised overseas (especially in a 3rd world country). I may be wrong and my opinion may be a little biased because I'm a minority myself, but I don't think any experience is more valuable than living in a different country and learning another culture.

Anyways, your credentials are exellent and a lot of schools are beginning to hang their hats on diversity (Michigan and UVA just to name a few). You won't be accepted because of your ethnicity; instead, it somewhat increases your chances if you show them how much stronger
being an Iranian in America has made you.

PS. Your MCAT is fine. Realize that if a school's average is 35, there are individuals above and below the mean. I know a girl who got into Michigan with a 27. A 31 is god damn good, don't listen to these tools.

PS. Your MCAT is fine. Realize that if a school's average is 35, there are individuals above and below the mean. I know a girl who got into Michigan with a 27. A 31 is god damn good, don't listen to these tools.

I wouldn't say damn good, but a 31 is strong enough you shouldn't worry about it as a part of your application, unless you were shooting top tier. Pre-meds on SDN get really caught up in the numbers stuff, but most schools use the numbers solely to screen applicants. A quote I use a lot given me to once by a resident was "the numbers won't get you into medical school, but they sure as hell can keep you out." The point of the numbers is to give you more opportunities to demonstrate to the school you would be a good fit for them.

All of your numbers are up to snuff. When you apply, you'll get secondaries and as long as you write those well, you will get interviews. Best of luck.