Ireland or DO!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueJaysFan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious what everyone thinks,
For those of us that want minimal risk and ability to return to Canada what is a better bet, Osteopathic Med from the States or Ireland for med school.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Have you educated yourself on the issues surrounding osteopathic training in Canada?

Please read similar threads in the Canada forum (where I am moving this) about the difficulty getting the degree recognized (getting better), lack of available loans for a DO education, problems with statement of needs for J-1 visas, etc.

This is not meant to state that going to Ireland is a better choice, but you need to be educated on the perceived lack of equality in Canada with a US DO degree (fair or not) and the additional steps you may have to take.

Go to the US and get the DO. You will have a better time matching in the US, and Canada is opening up more and more to DO's. As of this coming July, Health Canada is starting a pilot program to give J-1 visas to Canadians attending DO schools who want to stay in the states for residency, and I know of several DO students who have gotten into FM residencies in Canada and one for pathology.

But, if you want to avoid the hassle of a "different" degree or can't get funding, then go to Ireland.

Just my 0.02. Definitely educate yourself about everything and make an informed decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since your status is a med student, where are you doing your med?

Well that leaves the USA. If I wanted to share the exact location where I am I would of done that.

I respect your decision to do a DO degree. But I don't believe that DO is the best option for Canadians who wish to return and work in Canada, especially those who don't want to do Family Medicine in Canada. If you plan on staying in the USA then DO is better than going abroad. But that is just my opinion and I am not an expert in any way.

Well that leaves the USA. If I wanted to share the exact location where I am I would of done that.

I respect your decision to do a DO degree. But I don't believe that DO is the best option for Canadians who wish to return and work in Canada, especially those who don't want to do Family Medicine in Canada. If you plan on staying in the USA then DO is better than going abroad. But that is just my opinion and I am not an expert in any way.

I would have walked the MD path (canada/USA) if I could get in the first place. According to Carms, DO student can enter first iteration of matching into BC and ON with other Can MD student. But who would really do that, given the less residency spots and bizzard system for IM specialty matching (if you don't match the first time, you can't match anymore except going to USA). But if you finish residency (allopathic ones), your licence is fully recognized in Canada and can practise just like everyone else who graduated from Canada.
Going to Ireland or Abroad will need you sign ROS if you want to come back to Canada, but not the DO road.

I would have walked the MD path (canada/USA) if I could get in the first place. According to Carms, DO student can enter first iteration of matching into BC and ON with other Can MD student. But who would really do that, given the less residency spots and bizzard system for IM specialty matching (if you don't match the first time, you can't match anymore except going to USA). But if you finish residency (allopathic ones), your licence is fully recognized in Canada and can practise just like everyone else who graduated from Canada.
Going to Ireland or Abroad will need you sign ROS if you want to come back to Canada, but not the DO road.

I will respond to this post, just to tell you that it is not something I am arguing with you about (DO vs. IMG MD). It is my opinion that DO + Practicing in Canada non-FM specialty is not the best idea. Non-FM have to get a job in a hospital afterwards... how welcoming are hospitals or Universities going to be to DO is questionable. Going to Irish, Australian, or even Caribbean medical school + ACGME residency in the USA --> Licensing in Ontario and if length is the same and Canadian Exams completed can --> licensing in every province.

Again, this is my opinion and yes I am very bias.

I think all the points made for and against DOs are very valid for Canadian practice. Basically, it appears that there are a few residents in Canada who are DOs which is good, however how many tried to match and failed to match is a mystery I guess. My major concern is still regarding the visa issue. Apparently Health Canada has issued a pilot project about J1 visas but who knows if it will still be an issue down the road. In terms of DOs working in hospitals, I guess after getting the foot in the door you will be practicing alongside Canadian colleagues no?

I think all the points made for and against DOs are very valid for Canadian practice. Basically, it appears that there are a few residents in Canada who are DOs which is good, however how many tried to match and failed to match is a mystery I guess. My major concern is still regarding the visa issue. Apparently Health Canada has issued a pilot project about J1 visas but who knows if it will still be an issue down the road. In terms of DOs working in hospitals, I guess after getting the foot in the door you will be practicing alongside Canadian colleagues no?
Just get the H1B with green card later.

I will respond to this post, just to tell you that it is not something I am arguing with you about (DO vs. IMG MD). It is my opinion that DO + Practicing in Canada non-FM specialty is not the best idea. Non-FM have to get a job in a hospital afterwards... how welcoming are hospitals or Universities going to be to DO is questionable. Going to Irish, Australian, or even Caribbean medical school + ACGME residency in the USA --> Licensing in Ontario and if length is the same and Canadian Exams completed can --> licensing in every province.

Again, this is my opinion and yes I am very bias.

Then just work in the states; earning US dollar.

Ok, I am not going to reply anymore. Right now is the board prep time for me. It is impossible to convince others nor is it worth it.
Good luck!