Irish student in need of advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GDM

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. I live in Ireland and I'm in my last four weeks of secondary school. I have applied to the CAO here in Ireland for both a General and a Psychiatric Nursing Degree course, I know getting the near 600 Leaving Cert points would be almost impossible for me and my mother has been a psychiatric nurse for 26 years so nursing seemed like a good option.

Now what I would really like to do is train to become a psychiatrist.

What I hope to do is get the nursing degree and then re-apply to the CAO as a mature student and try get a place in a med school.

I have been in contact with several people in colleges here and some have advised me not to try get into medicine this way while others have stressed that it would be hard to get a place here as a mature student but at the same time have encouraged me to try it.

Has anyone here tried this either here in Ireland or anywhere else.

Would I be able to use the nursing degree to gain any credit on a medicine course in Australia and thereby shorten the training time. If I got a place in Ireland it would cost me roughly €38,000. How much would it cost in Australia.

Also is it possible to get a job as a nurse in Australia and study medicine while working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Flinders University in Adelaide and a few other Australian University's offer post-graduate medicine which is only open to those which have another degree (such as nursing) first... a lot of students work part time in jobs using their first degree at the same time (ie physios, etc)
You would need to contact the Uni for info though...try www.flinders.edu.au for the Flinder's Uni options.