Irma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted109597

Now it's my turn to be concerned about people in the path of a storm. It's only been two weeks, and TTF-1 is remobilizing to go to Florida. Lots of those at the Caribbean medical schools have already been affected. Even Sir Richard Branson had his island basically wiped off the map.
@dchristismi , stay safe out there. @RustedFox , you too.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks!

Gentle rain here just south of Tampa just now. No real winds to speak of yet. Taking wife and pets and heading to hospital tonight to ride it out there (and because I work the 6am shift tomorrow).

The Fox Den is on high ground in the last of the evac zones (Labeled E on the evac map) and 10 miles away from shore as the crow flies. My whole neighborhood of seniors is all staying put. Barely anyone has boarded the windows. We'll see what happens. Maybe I can parlay this storm into letting Mrs.Fox let me.get that big ol' beep-beep Jeep I've always wanted.

Safe here so far, quite inland in Winter Haven. Big band went through a bit ago, but we're between them now. (It's still raining but just blustery.)

Worked the last 3 in a row, and supposed to work at 2 today, but the director texted me not to go in until I'd heard from him, so sort of in limbo. I'm only 3 miles from the hospital, which helps flexibility. The nurses were told they had to stay at the hospital for the duration, which really sucks. Generally, the patient surge comes after the storm...

Already had several hurricane victims falling off ladders prepping, trimming trees, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stuck at home until the winds die down tomorrow morning in Boca Raton/Delray. Then off to the hospital for the post hurricane chaos. Several tornado warnings in my area of SE Florida since 4am. Getting category 1 winds still despite being on the opposite coast

All good here. The storm took a hard right and missed us east by a county or two. We never even lost power. I'm on shift right now.

All good here. The storm took a hard right and missed us east by a county or two. We never even lost power. I'm on shift right now.
How was the storm surge? Still have my condo on Clearwater beach from when I worked TB area and haven't found out how it's doing yet.

Hopefully Jose will take off somewhere with no land mass, but it's pointed at south Florida after its crazy pattern is complete...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How was the storm surge? Still have my condo on Clearwater beach from when I worked TB area and haven't found out how it's doing yet.

Dunno just yet; I'm too tired right now to look it up, and I think damage is still being tallied.

The Fox Den lost two panels from the lanai and two plants that we were going to get rid of anyway because they're large and spiky and we're small people. No structural damage and all windows intact. Several large trees were uprooted in our neighborhood.

Here's the bizarre bit. I spent the night in the hospital last night, right? Okay. Our county was under a curfew from 3pm yesterday to 3pm today (which was summarily lifted at about noon). I laid down to rest around 10:30PM, with plans to wake up at 5:30 for my 6AM shift start (I take all of 2 minutes to shower and change clothes). I say to the night-shift doc:

"Hey, I'm gonna be asleep in room 6. Wake me up if crazy $hit happens and you need help or something."
"Okay."

We expect nothing overnight, as EMS is not running, and the word curfew means: "stay indoors and where you're at".

NightDoc wakes me up around 4:30 and says: "We've been busy all night long. Can you help?"
I wake up and log-in to Cerner. 10 active patients.

Yep. People ignored the curfew and apparent life-threatening danger for their ticky-tack, non-urgent/non-emergent medical "needs" all night long while I slept. I think maybe one case was truly "emergent". The rest was pathetic.

I'm in the Carolinas and we're getting tropical storm force stuff, right now. Had a patio table and umbrella flip over, have giant pines swaying like toothpicks (palms seem okay), lost power temporarily and it's real gusty (maybe up to 60mph?)
Still, nothing like Matthew last year or Charley in 2004, and definitely nowhere near what Houston, Naples or the Keys got.
I consider myself lucky, considering earlier in this storm's course, I was right in it's bullseye at one point.

Now that I'm off ...
The post-hurricane cluster was exactly that. A ton of Baker Acts, a lot of worried well, several malingerers who didn't want to go home, and a bunch of nebulizer-dependent COPDers who ended up getting admitted. And the usual sick elderly.

My formerly 33-bed ED moved into our brand-new 55 bed ED on Wednesday. On Monday, we had 123 patients signed in at one point. Not knowing where anything was is inherently challenging. Throw a natural disaster into it and chaos was the best description.

I just finished 5 shifts in 6 days, am completely exhausted, and I'm sure would have been asked to help more except that I have an international flight tomorrow for some much needed RnR. (Planned for 7 months... hurricane just happened to come dangerously close to screw with it.)

Turns out we lost power a couple hours after the storm passed... and I was extricated from my subdivision by a bunch of guys with chainsaws after a tree managed to cut off the entire road. One of my neighbors had a massive oak smash their home. Lots of tree damage, thankfully power came back on late this morning.

The actual storm was sort of surreal. The eye ended up going more inland, and I think went close to over us - the eyewall was intense. The noise was, well, worse than I expected. And by the time the winds died down (the first time) I was so tired, I did manage to sleep. My hospital not only lost power, but lost backup generator power for several hours, and some of my nurses had to help manually bag the intubated patients for awhile. I don't know how long they were down, but the nurses had to stay in house for the entirety, and we're all tired and beat down.

But it's over. Go away Jose.

Are you flying out of Tampa? The airport is still running right now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live midway between Tampa and Orlando, so this time, just happen to be flying out of Orlando. Thankfully.