Irrational Interview fears...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spot the cat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
... I know we all must have them. I am reminded of my irrational fears by the thread about interview portfolios.

In my other life, I am a landscape architect. For the past 10 years, an interview has meant pulling together a portfolio of designs & drawings... these can be extremely labor intensive and expensive and are a nighmare if they are not updated regularly (hello, application process). I've been working in a civil engineering firm for the past few years, and most of the work I have been doing isn't graphically compelling (not nearly as interesting as my school work) and the designs are pretty cut and dried. Lately, I've been doing a lot of presentation drawings, including a lot of hand sketches and renderings which are fairly attractive, but do not represent "good design."

I stress out about the drawings because there is something in my head saying "Ooohh, I can't show these at my med school interviews because they will know they are crappy designs..." I woke up in the middle of the night a few weeks ago wondering if I could pull together the new portfolio material and get all of my secondaries done in time and still be able to get Christmas cards out.

I guess it saves my brain from worrying about getting in.

Members don't see this ad.

:laugh: i can sort of vicariously relate because my best friend was an architecture major, she had "reviews" of her work every week and they would basically turn into psycho-analyses of her personality and how she needs to tranform the way she works--draw more, draw messy, draw hypothetically, etc. and she seemed to be on the bverge of mental breakdown every week.

Anyway, you can be assured that med school interviews are far less psychologically-destructive than design reviews. They want to find out more about YOU, not criticize your designs and thought-process :luck: