IRS rules and IRA question

Started by TXKnight
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a nontrad with a family, accepted med student starting in Aug. Last night I came up with the idea of rolling over my Group Defined Benefit pension to an IRA and then, IF NEEDED, tap a little into it for emergencies and the such while in med school, but lost some sleep at the thought of the 10% early withdrawal penalty. Today, I was pleasantly surprised about the abundant threads about this topic here. On the other hand, there is one thing I don't understand: I am getting up to my COA in loans. How does this affect me getting money from the IRA for other school related expenses/emergencies and NOT getting assessed a penalty? Can I even do that since I'm already getting loans to cover COA? Thanks!