Is 38 too old to start EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

businessmd06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a non trad who would not finish my residency until I am somewhere btwn 37-38 depending on 3 / 4 yr program. I am just curious if anyone thinks this is a problem? I have read threads about people leaving the ED at 55-60, so in reality I would have 20 or so years to practice in the ED, as opposed to students who went right into medicine they would be done residency around 31 or so.....

thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

No, I am entering residency at 37. The key is to invest time in a career you can live with as the dirt nap's right around the corner.

Several of my classmates are starting their EM residencies at 35-38yo. If EM is what you want to do, go for it. I'll be finishing my residency at 35.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say EM is one of the best choices one as "advanced" in age as yourself. First, nobody will notice your Depends beneath the baggy scrubs, and you can wear a fanny pack to stash your Ensure. ;) Seriously, I think that EM is an very good field for the person entering medicine at a nontraditional age. Reason being is it is a 3 yr residency, you don't have to take time to establish a private practice after graduation, and you have the capacity to work part time. However, sometimes age makes it difficult to adapt to the shift variablity. IM would be another good choice I think as well, it has many of the advantages of EM (short residency, you don't have to establish a patient base if you do only hospitalist work), and if you can get a academic appointment you typically will have not have a lot of call. However, if you work in the private world as an internist the hours can be hellish, and then you add on call.. :scared:

businessmd06 said:
Hello All,

I am a non trad who would not finish my residency until I am somewhere btwn 37-38 depending on 3 / 4 yr program. I am just curious if anyone thinks this is a problem? I have read threads about people leaving the ED at 55-60, so in reality I would have 20 or so years to practice in the ED, as opposed to students who went right into medicine they would be done residency around 31 or so.....

thoughts?

I'm "finishing" at 36 and then heading for a 2 year toxicology fellowship. I'll likely go to my 20th HS reunion as a fellow. Oh well. Love my job. In short, not a problem...

- H

Glad to see others do not seem to have a problem with the non trad age... I guess another question and of course no one has a crystal ball, but how do people in the EM field view the specialty changing over the next say 5-10 years? Will this side of medicine feel the pinch that some others are talking about with HMO / Medicare and payment schedules going down? or do people think reimbursement / good salary will continue in this field?

I agree with all the posters, I think for non-traditional EM would be pretty good field except for the odd hours, but I mean I don't think that is easy for any age. I also think that if it is something you really like/fun compared to other fields, you should do it because you'll be happier these last 20 or so years. Also, unlike other fields, you don't necessarily need to establish a practice, you can work part time/move around without as much problems created.

I really hope you find out what you want to do!

No problem if this is what you want to do.

I was 39 when I finished my EM residency. I would do it all again... though I sincerely hope that is never required...

businessmd06 said:
Hello All,

thoughts?

See, you could finish EM residency at the age of 41 or 42(maximum), by yur third year or 4th year you could moonlight at 75-100 dollars per hour. say yur stipend at 4thyr would be around 55k and you could easily bring in another 10-15k in moonlighting, thats during residency, I know guys who started 400k after reidency, work your butt off for 5 years save 1 million(most conservative estimate), then if you wish, only if you wish , you could turn to some academics or in a city Urgent care............

Yup, that's way too old. No way in hell you'll be able to do EM at that old age.

Take care,
Jeff