Is 42 too old to get into optometry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NewJersey555

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am 38 now and plan on returning to earn my second bachelors degree, which will be in biology. By the time I am done with my prerequisites and take the OATs I will be 41. Is it too late? Do I have a chance? Or should I just forget about it?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You have to do the math.
You'll graduate at 46.
How many years will you have to work to pay off your student loans?
Living a frugal life while you pay them down is easier as a single/couple than with kids that will be heading to college themselves.
If you're able to write a check for the bulk of the tuition, it's an easier choice.

Does your family have an income source while you're in school?
Fair to compromise their lifestyle?

What's your long-term goal? Practice ownership? Employee? Commercial leaseholder? Some of these may be tougher to do if you're starting in your middle-ages.


Use your head, not your heart.
 
Last edited: