To answer the original question, definitely doable if that's a priority. I worked ~24 weeks this year, and on my off weeks, do telemed service (not direct services) part-time, >650k this year, first year out. I live in a major city and work at a large academic center. I'd make quite a bit more if I went across the street to the private hospital. If salary is important, you can hustle with sided gigs or private setups, or double dip service and physician fees with infusion centers, etc. There are plenty of very wealthy neurologists. That said, you can do the same as a spine surgeon and far outstrip a neurologist, so if the magnitude matters that much to you, you will definitely earn more elsewhere with similar vigor/hustle. They are simply paid more per unit of time. I will say that at some point, your needs and wants are reasonably covered, and time is the single most important commodity. I make plenty of money, but I'm never going to pull in 1.5 million a year like my spine surgery colleagues can---but they're never going to have half the year off. No one is going to pay you to just be awesome, you've gotta hustle for those RVUs with time and sweat.
RE: telestroke / teleneuro coverage. If the ED only called about acute stroke for ED-teleneuro coverage, then the argument re: only stroke neurologists should cover is reasonable. I've covered multiple teleneurology/telestroke pagers, they're always abused as a acute neuro consult. Sadly, it's a <10-20% hit rate for the ED consult being an acute stroke.....like it always has been for ED consults. You're so much more likely to get called about headaches, functional, gen neuro, etc than an acute stroke <24hrs, much less <4.5hrs. Does that mean stroke doctors shouldn't be involved? Didnt think so. This is frankly not a very reasonable position to hold and is more advertising of who is taking the call than substance of who is delivering the care. I agree that ideally you want the pool to be neurologists enriched in acute stroke / acute neurology expertise (hospitalists, ICU, etc) to manage the panoply of neurologic emergencies that can happen, but say that the ED can only be covered by stroke neurologists is absurd. In reality, there are <5% of hospitals in the country that can have both a neurologist on call and separately, a stroke neurologist on call for the ED. Most are happy to get anyone at all.
And let me be very clear, this is not because I have any financial interest in covering that pager. In fact, you can have the damn ED pager. I'm not doing it again after the first few months I signed up for. Not worth it. I'll stick to my unit.