Sep 12, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi I have a quick question ( sorry for hijacking your thread idk how to make one myself :/) if a applicant only has 1 year of significant upward trend but manages to pull off a c3.73 as a gpa when applying are the chances dead because there isn't 2 years of strong academic work? I have over 36 hours of A's and a valid reason for a bad couple of years ( diagnosed with a chronic illness ) and unique and substantial EC 's

Thanks and sorry for the thread interruption !

BurghMed

Shaka Bra!
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2013
Status
Medical Student
A cumulative 3.7 is great, don't sweat it. Upward trend of any sort with that gpa is good. Don't worry.

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
Yes, a 3.73 is a 3.73

Your standards for 2 years of bad grades is different than what everybody else's is if you still have a 3.73 despite only one year of A's and those two years of "bad" grades.

Reactions: Mad Jack
OP
D
Sep 12, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Oh ok because I was told by my pre-med advisor that medical schools prefer students that show consistency and I should go get my masters first. smh Oh a lawper, i said that because I hijacked someone else thread before figuring out how to make on myself.

OP
D
Sep 12, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Oh and thank you everyone. I am a URM female and was told that most schools in texas pick from their elite ( 3.9 + ) pool of URM and I would be at the lower end. But thanks for the reassurance. I have a 3.65 science gpa if that matters. Anyone else involved with the matriculation process want to add anything?

Once again i REALLY appreciate this everyone.

NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Oh ok because I was told by my pre-med advisor that medical schools prefer students that show consistency and I should go get my masters first. smh Oh a lawper, i said that because I hijacked someone else thread before figuring out how to make on myself.
Step 1. Slap your pre-med advisor in the face
Step 2. Get into med school with a strong GPA
Step 3. Encourage others to repeat Steps 1-2

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
Oh and thank you everyone. I am a URM female and was told that most schools in texas pick from their elite ( 3.9 + ) pool of URM and I would be at the lower end. But thanks for the reassurance. I have a 3.65 science gpa if that matters. Anyone else involved with the matriculation process want to add anything?

Your GPA combined with URM status will make you very competitive for many many schools.

Reactions: Goro

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension

:rofl: Being a URM literally never counts against you. Don't worry. What they were saying by that is that borderline URMs probably don't get in in Texas- people with, say, a 3.3/28 that would get in pretty much in any other state. But your stats, so long as you get a decent MCAT, will be more than competitive enough to get in as an in-state Texan. Also, your advisor is quite possibly at the lower end of the bell curve as it pertains to intelligence, pay them no mind.

Reactions: TheZaLord
OP
D
Sep 12, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Oh great :) thanks. And my ( only) MCAT score was a 514 so roughly a 33 or even 34. I guess i was worrying for nothing. This site does that to me sometimes lol even though I just discovered it a few months ago.

NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Oh great :) thanks. And my ( only) MCAT score was a 514 so roughly a 33 or even 34. I guess i was worrying for nothing. This site does that to me sometimes lol even though I just discovered it a few months ago.
Hey SDN just saved you from your insane advisor that thought a 3.7+ 514 URM applicant has to do a SMP

Reactions: MrLogan13 and Goro

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
You are a viable candidate for a large number of prestigious OOS medical schools beyond Texas. Think top 20.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Yet even more evidence that most pre-med advisors have the brains of a flea!

Reactions: MrLogan13

moisne

5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2014
I have 1 semester of 2.0?
Another year of some low GPA (2.7-3.3)?

Everyone goes through rough times, you'll be ok if your cGPA and sGPA is 3.7+