1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Is a D in Calc 1 gonna kill me???????

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by beckham, May 17, 2007.

1. beckham

Pre-Medical
    I got a D in Calc1 in my first yr with A's and a B in other science courses. Is it just the end of my hopes for med school? And I plan to take it again soon so I can take calc based physics.... Any advise will be greatly appreciated

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mongrel

mongrel Assoc. Prof. Dogsuit
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    From what I've read about people who had similar grades, it is definitely NOT a deal-breaker. Can you pinpoint the reason why you got the D? Just struggle to get acquainted to college atmosphere, maybe other extensuating circumstances? Can you learn from your mistakes this year and use that (along with working your tail off) to do better from here on out... maybe even turn "that single early D" on your transcript into a decent growing point for adcoms.

And GPA-wise, being a freshman your GPA number hasn't soldified yet.If you pulled mostly A's and some B's from here on out I think you'd still be fine.

4. IceMan0824

IceMan0824 Holy crip, he's a crapple
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Calc 1 doesn't kill people, bad people with Calc 1 kill people.

Why not retake and get a better grade?

5. EMDream

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    No, Just retake it and get an A then it'll average out to a "2.5" and that will help your gpa a bit and well it'll look better tha nyou retook it and proved you can do it. also nail physics.

6. beckham

Pre-Medical
    Well. I had to work 2 jobs to support my family but I dont think med schools care about it. right?

7. mongrel

mongrel Assoc. Prof. Dogsuit
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hmmm, that sounds like a pretty good reason to be stressed out your first year in school! I would think that adcoms would be at least a little lenient to your circumstances (as long as you can show subsequent improvement). You might consider retaking like the others above said.

8. Vanguard23

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    um, yeah. Put that in your essay or personal statement to explain the D.

9. Nyu2004

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It won't kill you, but a lot of schools require that you pass the pre requisites with a grade of C or better. You should find out and retake if necessary.
    Good Luck
    Albert Einstein class of 2011

10. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Take fewer credits next time, and drop a course if you can see that you'll be doing poorly in it.