Is a D in Calc 1 gonna kill me???????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beckham

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a D in Calc1 in my first yr with A's and a B in other science courses. Is it just the end of my hopes for med school? And I plan to take it again soon so I can take calc based physics.... Any advise will be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've read about people who had similar grades, it is definitely NOT a deal-breaker. Can you pinpoint the reason why you got the D? Just struggle to get acquainted to college atmosphere, maybe other extensuating circumstances? Can you learn from your mistakes this year and use that (along with working your tail off) to do better from here on out... maybe even turn "that single early D" on your transcript into a decent growing point for adcoms.

And GPA-wise, being a freshman your GPA number hasn't soldified yet.If you pulled mostly A's and some B's from here on out I think you'd still be fine.

I got a D in Calc1 in my first yr with A's and a B in other science courses. Is it just the end of my hopes for med school? And I plan to take it again soon so I can take calc based physics.... Any advise will be greatly appreciated

Calc 1 doesn't kill people, bad people with Calc 1 kill people.

Why not retake and get a better grade?

Members don't see this ad :)

No, Just retake it and get an A then it'll average out to a "2.5" and that will help your gpa a bit and well it'll look better tha nyou retook it and proved you can do it. also nail physics.

Can you pinpoint the reason why you got the D? Just struggle to get acquainted to college atmosphere, maybe other extensuating circumstances?

Well. I had to work 2 jobs to support my family but I dont think med schools care about it. right?

Well. I had to work 2 jobs to support my family but I dont think med schools care about it. right?

Hmmm, that sounds like a pretty good reason to be stressed out your first year in school! I would think that adcoms would be at least a little lenient to your circumstances (as long as you can show subsequent improvement). You might consider retaking like the others above said.

um, yeah. Put that in your essay or personal statement to explain the D.

It won't kill you, but a lot of schools require that you pass the pre requisites with a grade of C or better. You should find out and retake if necessary.
Good Luck
Albert Einstein class of 2011

Take fewer credits next time, and drop a course if you can see that you'll be doing poorly in it.