Is a Gap year necessary post Bac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturedrA1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So right now I’m a Bio major going into my jr year. I’m in the honors college at my university and I did community college for 2 years. I’ve done this so far:

-a full summer as a research volunteer in general surgery for Trauma (150hrs)
-hospice care (3months once a week) in HS
-scribing for cardiology (recently started &planning to do 2 years)
-bilingual

I’m concerned I’m not in good standing to at least get into 3 medical schools. I’m hoping to get into atleast UM or UF. I haven’t taken my mcat but I’m planning to study as I finish my prerequisites(orgos and physics classes). Is it really necessary to take a gap year? I kind of don’t want to. Also my last two years of undergrad are going to be pretty overwhelming given that I’d be taking about 6 or 7 classes a semester. What are my chances and is a gap year the ideal route in my case? Thank you for the help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I believe it’d be in your best interest to take a gap year. Based off the information given, you’re between two options: trying to study for the MCAT during a crowded school semester, or taking a gap year to really focus on the MCAT: I would personally choose the latter. The MCAT isn’t something you want to rush into, and the odds of you managing to ace upper level courses such as Physics and Biochem while also studying for the MCAT and attempting a highly competitive score (like the ones UF and UM require) are slim, considering the amount of time each one requires. I’d say take the gap year!

Reactions: 1 users