Is a Liberal Arts Major at a Disadvantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedSox1804

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm fully aware that all other variables (GPA, MCAT, EC's ect) being equal, the answer is no.

I'm just wondering if anyone is a liberal arts (philosophy perhaps) major and has any insight in how to get A's in a class that whose content is more theoretically based rather than empirical and objective? Is it possible to "gun" for grades in these sorts of courses as in the sciences or is maintaining a near perfect GPA in a major such as philosophy not possible/likely? Any advice on how to do well in these types of classes? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm fully aware that all other variables (GPA, MCAT, EC's ect) being equal, the answer is no.

I'm just wondering if anyone is a liberal arts (philosophy perhaps) major and has any insight in how to get A's in a class that whose content is more theoretically based rather than empirical and objective? Is it possible to "gun" for grades in these sorts of courses as in the sciences or is maintaining a near perfect GPA in a major such as philosophy not possible/likely? Any advice on how to do well in these types of classes? Thanks!
I am a Middle Eastern Studies/Arabic major with the ambition of going to medical school. This major requires the study of Middle Eastern history, political science, culture, and the Arabic language. From my experience, in this type of major, you must be able to read and absorb a great deal of information in a certain time frame. With that stated, you must also possess adept research and analytical techniques to score "A"s on all papers or assignments you undertake. The quickest way to fail a paper is to write a narrative instead of an analysis, especially in philosophy. However, each major requires you to take classes that will enable you to enhance these skills as you progress throughout your college tenure. At my university, most Liberal Major/Pre-Med stated the number one thing that set them apart was the acquisition of a foreign language. If you look at many medical schools, like in Texas, they often will assert on their websites that foreign language proficiency is valuable. However, learning a foreign language is a beast.

Gunning for grades is possible, but remember your answer to certain question may not be that of your professors. Liberal Arts curriculum is subjective. Remember facts are facts and cannot be disputed, however, the interpretation of those facts can be. This degree will not put you at a disadvantage, but your grades will. Also, just because it is a Liberal Arts major does not mean it will be easier. You will need to put in the same amount of time you would any other semester. I was a Genetics major before this one, and I find now I put in the same amount of time with those classes as I did with the sciences.

Last edited:
on the contrary, i think you will be at an advantage IF you make sure you do very well (3.85+) in the prereq's for med school... one year bio, chem, orgo, physics.... if you get a GPA for these subjects a 3.85+ and do no other science courses, and in place do liberal arts courses and do just as well, you in my opinion stand a better chance of admission then a science major.... It shows you have the ability to handle both science courses as demonstrated by your BCPM GPA as well as nonscience courses which are equally important... :D

so yes, nonscience major is good... but if you mess up in these science pre-req's you will be at a HUGE disadvantage as compared to a science major

Members don't see this ad :)

Having majoring in a liberal arts department, I can tell you that there are two disadvantages:

1) You have less science background for the MCAT. People will tell you ad nauseum that all you need for the MCAT are the pre-med requirements, but there is no one in this would that could convince me that taking more science classes won't help. It helped me when I took extra science classes (Cell & Molecular Bio, Biochem, Genetics, etc.).

2) If you are not majoring in science, you are presumably going to take many fewer science classes. Because of this, 1 or 2 poor science grades will have a much larger impact on your BCPM GPA than 1 or 2 poor science grades if you are taking many BCPM classes.

IMO, I think majoring in a liberal arts field is a very good idea. It gives you a chance to branch out and do something different for a while. However, make sure you don't fall victim to #1 and #2 listed above (as I did) because it can be very tiresome making up for it.

Non-science majors also might have to work a bit harder when they get to med school compared to their classmates.

I think you mean to ask if a non-science major is a disadvantage, and the answer is no as long as you take the prereqs. Liberal arts includes the classic pre-med majors such as bio and chem, but not other professional majors such as business and engineering.

So I'm went to a small liberal arts school, and here are a few things to chew on:

1) The best possible applicant for medical school (I would argue) is someone who has a completely random major (art history, religous studies, etc.), yet can score a 32+ on the MCAT

2) Taking lots of science courses generally makes it easier to do well on the BS and PS sections

3) I was forced to take a lot of classes that I thought were useless @ my liberal arts school, and then I scored a 13 in VR (not so useless I guess...)

4) Taking all those extra science classes at a liberal arts school really taxes a student, and your GPA might suffer as a result, so plan accordingly

5) Ideally, take a non-science major, take your pre-med rereq's, and then study a lot in the summer, AUDIT upper level science classes at a university, read a lot, study for the MCAT, and you'll be awesome

I was an LAS major, & later completed 40+ hrs premed. Major difference in my opinion is that for liberal arts classes, much of one's grades sometimes come down to the teacher -- I graduated w/a 3.7 or so, including over 20 hrs per semester my last year.. and there were a few teachers who, regardless of putting in similar effort to my other classes, just did not seem to appreciate my way of writing/thinking..earned a couple Bs on papers (and classes) that I put unbelievable amounts of hours into, and during normal 16 or so hr. semesters. One class was in my major, probably the 7th class in the sequence (earned As in the other 6) another was in English, depite high SAT scores and CLEPping out of another English class on a similar level.. Science classes were different -- my one "b" was due to taking substantially more than the recommended number of classes in a semester; science classes were more objective; you "know it" or you don't. More effort for me, in general, to earn an A in science than in LAS.

I'm a math major. When I was trying to decide between getting a more traditional bio/chem degree or majoring in math, my pre-med advisor had some of the best advice anyone's given me in college:

"Do what you love here, because medical school will own you."

She said that honestly, a non-science degree could be an asset as long as I did well in my pre-reqs. (And I do feel that the logical aspect of what I do is helping me get ready for VR on the MCAT.)

All things being I think that it COULD help you. However, I don't think its fair to say that a interesting major always wins. It would come down to your interview, perhaps. A bichem major who is passionate about his field of study versus an art history major who is meh about his field... I'd stick with the biochemist. If you truly love your major then that is the best major for you. Taking history and hating it just so you can have the "diversity factor" doesn't work as well if you have no interest.