ladysmanfelpz

5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Earlier on my SubI in November I only had two interviews for psych. A fourth year resident I got along great with said he would be my advocate and write letters to whoever I like based on my performance and work ethic on the SubI. I also just completed a psych elective where I got along great with the physician. My initial thought was to add another LOR to my application and have the 4th year personally write program coordinators to the few programs I interviewed to better my chances. Well I got up to 8 interviews luckily, which is no guarantee and feel much better. The 4th year resident has a letter written and I just need to give him the emails to shoot them off too. Is it okay to send to program directors or is that against the rules, or look bad? Should I just send them to the program coordinators of the programs and have them forward as they see fit?

And for the LOR. I only have 1 psych LOR that I think is pretty generic. My other letters were good and interviewers commented on them. Is it worth updating with another LOR in the specialty so that I come up on program's radars right before match, or is it unnecessary and asking too much of the doc that I just rotated with?

I'm really wanting psych and so was going to do whatever to better my chances. With few interview I heard an advocate is a good way to go, but others said an attending letter is going to hold a lot more weight. Should I do one, both, or neither? At this point, probably in by early February, would it have an impact on rank list? Thanks for the input.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.