Is a post-bac for me?

Started by lt1985
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lt1985

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone. I am researching post-bacs programs, and like the title of the thread suggests, I'm not sure they are for me because I have very low credentials.

I recently graduated from Northwestern with a major in chemical engineering and a minor in biology. My undergraduate GPA is a 2.7. Also I took the MCAT and got a 27. I understand I need to improve my credentials to prove to adcoms and myself for that matter, that I have what it takes to pursue a career in medicine, so I was wondering what sort of programs should I look into given my extremely low stats?

At this point I am extremely discouraged and thinking about maybe taking a few years off and working as an engineer, but I don't know how this would ultimately help me. Any advice would greatly help me because I am extremely lost at this point. Thanks in advance for any help.
 
Hi everyone. I am researching post-bacs programs, and like the title of the thread suggests, I'm not sure they are for me because I have very low credentials.

I recently graduated from Northwestern with a major in chemical engineering and a minor in biology. My undergraduate GPA is a 2.7. Also I took the MCAT and got a 27. I understand I need to improve my credentials to prove to adcoms and myself for that matter, that I have what it takes to pursue a career in medicine, so I was wondering what sort of programs should I look into given my extremely low stats?

At this point I am extremely discouraged and thinking about maybe taking a few years off and working as an engineer, but I don't know how this would ultimately help me. Any advice would greatly help me because I am extremely lost at this point. Thanks in advance for any help.

I would look into informal programs or unstructured programs from state schools. A year or two of straight As in upper-div science classes to get as close to a 3.0 would be idea. Retake the MCAT and apply to med school and SMPs at the same time.

GL.