Nov 10, 2010
Status
Hi everyone. I am researching post-bacs programs, and like the title of the thread suggests, I'm not sure they are for me because I have very low credentials.

I recently graduated from Northwestern with a major in chemical engineering and a minor in biology. My undergraduate GPA is a 2.7. Also I took the MCAT and got a 27. I understand I need to improve my credentials to prove to adcoms and myself for that matter, that I have what it takes to pursue a career in medicine, so I was wondering what sort of programs should I look into given my extremely low stats?

At this point I am extremely discouraged and thinking about maybe taking a few years off and working as an engineer, but I don't know how this would ultimately help me. Any advice would greatly help me because I am extremely lost at this point. Thanks in advance for any help.

Isoprop

Fascinating, tell me more
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Hi everyone. I am researching post-bacs programs, and like the title of the thread suggests, I'm not sure they are for me because I have very low credentials.

I recently graduated from Northwestern with a major in chemical engineering and a minor in biology. My undergraduate GPA is a 2.7. Also I took the MCAT and got a 27. I understand I need to improve my credentials to prove to adcoms and myself for that matter, that I have what it takes to pursue a career in medicine, so I was wondering what sort of programs should I look into given my extremely low stats?

At this point I am extremely discouraged and thinking about maybe taking a few years off and working as an engineer, but I don't know how this would ultimately help me. Any advice would greatly help me because I am extremely lost at this point. Thanks in advance for any help.
I would look into informal programs or unstructured programs from state schools. A year or two of straight As in upper-div science classes to get as close to a 3.0 would be idea. Retake the MCAT and apply to med school and SMPs at the same time.

GL.