Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,
I have a cumulative 3.83 GPA (3.75 science) but I'm thinking about applying for a post-bacc (particularly the VCOM one which offers guaranteed admission if you meet their GPA requirements).
I'm currently studying for the MCAT, but even with a decent MCAT and a high GPA, I feel my academic record isn't very strong. This is because I attended 3 different colleges throughout undergrad (one was a community college), and had 3-4 semesters where I was part-time (8-12 credits). I also have 2 Ws on my transcript and am graduating in 5 years from a weak state school. I actually went out of state to a top public school and didn't do exceptional there ( cumulative 3.35 GPA) and then I transferred to a college close to my family (my mother was ill and I wasn't handling the long distance from my family very well). I don't really have a great reason why my record is so weird other than that; the part-time status/Ws resulted from just not being able to handle the material at the time. I wish I had a "traditional" path to a 4-year college. I feel as if a post-bac would help "bring together" my entire academic record.
So, do you think a post-bacc is worth it? Or would a 507+ MCAT score mitigate my weird transcripts? (I'm happy with DO or MD)
Just by the way, my LORs are pretty great. I have a lot of clinical experience through working part-time as well as volunteering. I've done a good bit of community service consistently and also have 2+ years of research (with 3 posters, 1 abstract publication).
Thanks a ton. I could really use some second opinions.
I have a cumulative 3.83 GPA (3.75 science) but I'm thinking about applying for a post-bacc (particularly the VCOM one which offers guaranteed admission if you meet their GPA requirements).
I'm currently studying for the MCAT, but even with a decent MCAT and a high GPA, I feel my academic record isn't very strong. This is because I attended 3 different colleges throughout undergrad (one was a community college), and had 3-4 semesters where I was part-time (8-12 credits). I also have 2 Ws on my transcript and am graduating in 5 years from a weak state school. I actually went out of state to a top public school and didn't do exceptional there ( cumulative 3.35 GPA) and then I transferred to a college close to my family (my mother was ill and I wasn't handling the long distance from my family very well). I don't really have a great reason why my record is so weird other than that; the part-time status/Ws resulted from just not being able to handle the material at the time. I wish I had a "traditional" path to a 4-year college. I feel as if a post-bac would help "bring together" my entire academic record.
So, do you think a post-bacc is worth it? Or would a 507+ MCAT score mitigate my weird transcripts? (I'm happy with DO or MD)
Just by the way, my LORs are pretty great. I have a lot of clinical experience through working part-time as well as volunteering. I've done a good bit of community service consistently and also have 2+ years of research (with 3 posters, 1 abstract publication).
Thanks a ton. I could really use some second opinions.