Is a "W" bad on a master's transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemonscentedsoap

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How bad do W's look on a master's degree transcript? For example, I really want to get an A in anatomy (6 credit hours class) but would end up with a B. Would it be better to get one W on the transcript and retake the class and try to get an A the second time? I am not in bad shape. I am actually sitting on an 87.5 but am weighing my options so I can maximize my chances in getting into dental school. Keep in mind that I still have a lecture exam to study for but would still like some guidance.

any feedback is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

posts like these make me glad i got into dental school straight from undergrad.

OP, take the probable B and move on.

Reactions: 1 user
One or two Bs will not have an effect on your dental school admission but that W will raise some red flags. If adcoms ask about it during an interview, what are you going to respond?

Members don't see this ad :)
Having a B is not terrible. I got an 89.7 in anatomy and got multiple acceptance offers. Take the B, anatomy is a tough class.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

One or two Bs will not have an effect on your dental school admission but that W will raise some red flags. If adcoms ask about it during an interview, what are you going to respond?

Not sure. But if I get a B in a 6 credit hour class, I will have a 3.7 (or somewhere in that ball park) GPA. I would want my GPA as high as possible. This is why I am trying to finish my masters.

Having one W would not look bad would it? If you replace that W with an A then it might not look as bad.

At my Masters program we were advised that W's did indeed look bad and to avoid them, as they would show up on your transcript. Honestly as long as your grad gpa is above a 3.5 and you have a great DAT you should be in good shape. Are you in your last semester of grad school? If it makes you feel any better I graduated with a 3.85 with my B in anatomy and did just as well this past cycle as my classmates who got 4.0s. No one asked me about my anatomy grade at all.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How bad do W's look on a master's degree transcript? For example, I really want to get an A in anatomy (6 credit hours class) but would end up with a B. Would it be better to get one W on the transcript and retake the class and try to get an A the second time? I am not in bad shape. I am actually sitting on an 87.5 but am weighing my options so I can maximize my chances in getting into dental school. Keep in mind that I still have a lecture exam to study for but would still like some guidance.

any feedback is appreciated.

I took the W in Gross Anatomy (6 credit) course, retook the class and got an A, it was never even mentioned in any of my interviews. So I guess one W in a masters program is fine.