Is AMCAS going to send out our schools list with their paper copies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMW

Grand Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just realized that AMCAS has said in their apology (see thread entitled AMCAS email") that they're sending out paper copies to the schools (!) Do you think they'll actually get it right and remember to leave out the list of schools?

Members don't see this ad.

don't you think that would be expecting too much at this point?? hehehe

seriously, i would hope they would, but i doubt they will.

just my thought

So is everybody still going to use the alternate procedures even though AMCAS is going to send out paper copies?

It wouldnt surprise me at all if AMCAS forgets to cut out the list of printed schools. Unfortunately for me, I'm applying to 26 different AMCAS programs. Even though the schools specifically state that the list of schools will have no bearing on their decision, I just dont think they can totally erase it from their minds when it will be staring them in the face when they are looking at peoples' files trying to make a final decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe we should bombard them with e-mails reminding them that the schools are not supposed to see that part of our applications.

Also, so much for AMCAS saying that the semesters being out of order, and all the other glitches with the printed apps, won't be a factor. Looks like the schools are going to get paper and they'll have to sort it out.

I'd be quite surprised if AMCAS went to the trouble to remove school lists from the apps. After all, they're working "literally around the clock" just to keep up.

Pam

Originally posted by spacecadet:
•I'd be quite surprised if AMCAS went to the trouble to remove school lists from the apps. After all, they're working "literally around the clock" just to keep up.
Suuuure they are. That's why AMCAS's phone line only works from 9 to 5 or something, and less on Thursdays; and on another thread I read that the MCAT supervisor (ok, not AMCAS, but still AAMC) left an hour before she should have. I would like to meet some of these faithful, selfless, AMCAS lackeys that are working around the clock and making the world a better place, and heartily pat them on the back for a job well done. :rolleyes:

I would also quite like to meet whoever is in charge of their staffing. I mean, what business could be more predictable in terms of customer demand than medical school application? About 40,000 students apply, and they do this every summer. Why couldn't AMCAS have known this and planned for it, instead of dishing out these cock-and-bull stories about working "literally around the clock just to keep up"?

That's enough of a diatribe against AMCAS and the powers that be, back to the topic. I hope they don't share the schools list. I'm with baylor21 on this one: I applied to 30 AMCAS schools and I wonder just how seriously adcoms can take an applicant in that situation. However, I guess I'll be happy if AMCAS can get my app out in any form. :rolleyes:

It seems to me that they can only send out a paper copy of an app that's already been "processed," and there seem to be precious few of these. I didn't submit until July 25th (and just today got the e-mail that acknowledges my submission) and can't really believe the lag time between submission and processing is going to improve anytime soon. Another reason to continue utilizing the alternate procedures. Sigh. For a while there I thought we could relax. Back to
worrying about whether they'll be broadcasting our list of schools (22 on mine) to the world.