Dec 4, 2020
I'm an applicant to MD programs this cycle.

I received B/B+ in my organic chemistry and biology classes but I took biochemistry this past summer and got an A-. Should I include this in my update letter? I have other significant updates (like a publication, new volunteering hours, etc). My BCPM and cumulative gpa are both 3.7 so numerically, the A- does not increase either.

Do adcoms review your BCPM gpa as a whole or do they look at individual courses? Including the A- could show an improvement in the biomedical sciences, I think, but I wouldn't want to notify them about the lower GPA's in the first place.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I would mention it briefly along with your other significant updates, especially if your BCPM worries you.

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I'm an applicant to MD programs this cycle.

I received B/B+ in my organic chemistry and biology classes but I took biochemistry this past summer and got an A-. Should I include this in my update letter? I have other significant updates (like a publication, new volunteering hours, etc). My BCPM and cumulative gpa are both 3.7 so numerically, the A- does not increase either.

Do adcoms review your BCPM gpa as a whole or do they look at individual courses? Including the A- could show an improvement in the biomedical sciences, I think, but I wouldn't want to notify them about the lower GPA's in the first place.
A single class? Not worth the effort.

We look at everything. But we don't focus on single metrics.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.