Is an A- worthy of a grade update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaist_987

Reaction score
I'm an applicant to MD programs this cycle.

I received B/B+ in my organic chemistry and biology classes but I took biochemistry this past summer and got an A-. Should I include this in my update letter? I have other significant updates (like a publication, new volunteering hours, etc). My BCPM and cumulative gpa are both 3.7 so numerically, the A- does not increase either.

Do adcoms review your BCPM gpa as a whole or do they look at individual courses? Including the A- could show an improvement in the biomedical sciences, I think, but I wouldn't want to notify them about the lower GPA's in the first place.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would mention it briefly along with your other significant updates, especially if your BCPM worries you.

I'm an applicant to MD programs this cycle.

I received B/B+ in my organic chemistry and biology classes but I took biochemistry this past summer and got an A-. Should I include this in my update letter? I have other significant updates (like a publication, new volunteering hours, etc). My BCPM and cumulative gpa are both 3.7 so numerically, the A- does not increase either.

Do adcoms review your BCPM gpa as a whole or do they look at individual courses? Including the A- could show an improvement in the biomedical sciences, I think, but I wouldn't want to notify them about the lower GPA's in the first place.
A single class? Not worth the effort.

We look at everything. But we don't focus on single metrics.

Reactions: 1 users