Is an A- worthy of a grade update

Started by kaist_987
Tags Tags
updates
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kaist_987

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an applicant to MD programs this cycle.

I received B/B+ in my organic chemistry and biology classes but I took biochemistry this past summer and got an A-. Should I include this in my update letter? I have other significant updates (like a publication, new volunteering hours, etc). My BCPM and cumulative gpa are both 3.7 so numerically, the A- does not increase either.

Do adcoms review your BCPM gpa as a whole or do they look at individual courses? Including the A- could show an improvement in the biomedical sciences, I think, but I wouldn't want to notify them about the lower GPA's in the first place.
 
Last edited:
I would mention it briefly along with your other significant updates, especially if your BCPM worries you.
 
I'm an applicant to MD programs this cycle.

I received B/B+ in my organic chemistry and biology classes but I took biochemistry this past summer and got an A-. Should I include this in my update letter? I have other significant updates (like a publication, new volunteering hours, etc). My BCPM and cumulative gpa are both 3.7 so numerically, the A- does not increase either.

Do adcoms review your BCPM gpa as a whole or do they look at individual courses? Including the A- could show an improvement in the biomedical sciences, I think, but I wouldn't want to notify them about the lower GPA's in the first place.
A single class? Not worth the effort.

We look at everything. But we don't focus on single metrics.