Other OT-Related Information Is Anyone Else Here Considering An Expensive OTD Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bokonomy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed last week at my last school that required interviews, and I couldn't find the same enthusiasm for that program as I did for my top choice. Unfortunately, my top program is an OTD that's going to cost an arm and a leg.

As many programs are adding OTDs or are transitioning to them (like BU, for example), I'm wondering what made you guys decide on an OTD over a cheaper MOT program.

There seems to be quite a bit of negativity towards the entry level OTD in other threads, so I'd like to avoid that in this one.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How much is the OTD at the programs you are looking into?

I am going to owe 70K for MOT.

How much is the OTD at the programs you are looking into?

I am going to owe 70K for MOT.
Ugh, I haven't gotten my financial aid package yet, but more than that (at least 100k with living). I've heard great things about the program, though, and I'm excited for the research opportunities there. I intend to do public service loan forgiveness. If they limit it to around 60k, I'll do income based repayment as well so it'll cut down on what I pay on taxes for forgiveness at the end. It'll be a lot, but it sounds worth it.

Yeah I gotta look into public service loan forgiveness. Not sure how it works out with hospital systems being non profit etc. Hopefully it may work out, but again with interest IDK if it is worth it.

I got someone helping with the living expenses so I am lucky at 70k haha.

Meh 30k is no biggie if you get accepted. If you wait another year you lost potential income. I know @MOT4ME is paying 40K for his degree and I am real jelly. I didn't get into my state school close to me which is around 57k, but didn't want to wait around and potentially lose future earnings.

How many semesters are you looking at with the OTD? Extra year?

What's making you lean towards the program over others, if you've gotten into any others so far?
It's a lot closer to home for me and I loved everything about the school during the interview. I felt really welcomed and at home and got the sense that the faculty really care about their students education and well-being. I have not had a chance to visit the MOT program.

JUST looking at tuition (no living expenses or anything like that as I will likely be getting some parental assistance in that area luckily) the OTD program comes to around 120,000 (yeah, I know) and the MOT is around 70,000. The MOT is also a year shorter than the OTD which means I will have an extra year of earning potential.

I need to look more into public service loan forgiveness and income-based repayment as well...I'm just finding it really hard to validate attending a school that is twice the cost of the other--especially when an OTD is probably not going to earn me any more in the long run (am I right about this???) Not that's I'm in OT for the money, but you get my point.

Our pay will always reflect reimbursement. You just need to be licensed to practice. You could be beestrng OTD Phd and in the future there is a major change in reimbursement, the qualifications wont help.

I have talked to a couple of OTs of middle age and they say they would get their OTD if they could. You could always get an OTD later. My school is relatively large and will most likely be only offering an OTD in the near future.

So if you dont want to be left out lol.

and they say they would get their OTD if they could

Did they say why? I've applied to mostly masters programs, but a couple doctorates based on location or possible scholarship opportunities. One of the doctorate programs has a great rep, and I was impressed with an OT I shadowed who had attended that program. But I'm mostly applying because it's convenient, not because I would necessarily prefer to have a doctorate.

Did they say why? I've applied to mostly masters programs, but a couple doctorates based on location or possible scholarship opportunities. One of the doctorate programs has a great rep, and I was impressed with an OT I shadowed who had attended that program. But I'm mostly applying because it's convenient, not because I would necessarily prefer to have a doctorate.
The OTs I have talked to (who have their MOT) have both told me that I should pick the program that is the most affordable and the shortest. On the other hand, I have had a few professors tell me I should go for the OTD because its "where the field is going."

Our pay will always reflect reimbursement. You just need to be licensed to practice. You could be beestrng OTD Phd and in the future there is a major change in reimbursement, the qualifications wont help.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "our pay will always reflect reimbursement." You believe the OTD will or won't matter in the future?

It's a lot closer to home for me and I loved everything about the school during the interview. I felt really welcomed and at home and got the sense that the faculty really care about their students education and well-being. I have not had a chance to visit the MOT program.

JUST looking at tuition (no living expenses or anything like that as I will likely be getting some parental assistance in that area luckily) the OTD program comes to around 120,000 (yeah, I know) and the MOT is around 70,000. The MOT is also a year shorter than the OTD which means I will have an extra year of earning potential.

I need to look more into public service loan forgiveness and income-based repayment as well...I'm just finding it really hard to validate attending a school that is twice the cost of the other--especially when an OTD is probably not going to earn me any more in the long run (am I right about this???) Not that's I'm in OT for the money, but you get my point.
I think the only time you'll make more money right now is if you work in public schools. In my state, I believe the pay is about 1500 to 2k greater a year, which makes the OTD a little less painful fire those considering that route.

I got the impression that they think they will obtain advanced training. But honestly these people have 20 years of practice with their bachelors. They probably would not learn anything new clinically but maybe some admin info for job advancement? I don't think you can become a full professor unless you have a PhD so it would not help with academics I guess.

Ditto on convenience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "our pay will always reflect reimbursement." You believe the OTD will or won't matter in the future?

OTD in the majority of cases won't make you more money. Someone else can state their own opinion or anecdotal evidence but there are a lot of practitioners who still have a bachelors making what a MOT makes. Insurance will pay the bachelor/masters/otd the same. They just need to be licensed OTs.

The only definite way an OTD will help if you work in schools where pay depends on having advanced degrees.

I got the impression that they think they will obtain advanced training. But honestly these people have 20 years of practice with their bachelors. They probably would not learn anything new clinically but maybe some admin info for job advancement? I don't think you can become a full professor unless you have a PhD so it would not help with academics I guess.

Ditto on convenience.
I've seen clinical coordinators with OTDs and clinical faculty, so I think a few become full professors (unless if that doesn't count as full time?) And in SOME OT phd programs (Colorado State, for instance?) it looks like an otd will shorten your credit load slightly. So if someone were to go on to a phd, it wouldn't be a complete waste for them.

I've seen clinical coordinators with OTDs and clinical faculty, so I think a few become full professors (unless if that doesn't count as full time?) And in SOME OT phd programs (Colorado State, for instance?) it looks like an otd will shorten your credit load slightly. So if someone were to go on to a phd, it wouldn't be a complete waste for them.

Remember there are differences between the OTD (clinical doctorate) and a Phd in something (assuming you are using it interchangeably). It is probably dependent on the institution having a Phd and being a full professor. AOTA has a memo on this if you google it.

I do not think it is a waste of time. Some people want to advance their education and that is cool.

Remember there are differences between the OTD (clinical doctorate) and a Phd in something (assuming you are using it interchangeably). It is probably dependent on the institution having a Phd and being a full professor. AOTA has a memo on this if you google it.

I do not think it is a waste of time. Some people want to advance their education and that is cool.
Oh no, I wasn't using them interchangeably. I was saying if someone with an OTD went on to get an OT PhD later on (as opposed to a phd in psych or a related field), in some programs they have less coursework requirements. Sorry for the confusion.

I agree that the profession is headed that way; many programs are obviously transitioning to the entry-level OTD and many professionals in academia are getting their post-professional OTDs or PhDs to remain competitive in their fields and in academic spheres. Although there is debate about whether or not people who earn OTDs actually have more skills or knowledge than people in master's programs, the fact is that there really aren't enough professionals in the field to research thoroughly and make a determination about the difference between master's and doctorally trained OTs (at the entry level). There are certainly pros and cons to getting an OTD, with the current biggest con being the fact that there is no real difference in the amount earned by a person with an OTD or a master's (or even a bachelors, depending on experience) in comparison to the amount they spend to earn the degree. However, with most if not all programs requiring an OTD for faculty members and that being viewed as the "future" of OT , it does seem that it's the way to go if you see yourself being involved in academia.

That said, there are still many more entry level master's programs out there that train OTs just as well, and they are typically shorter and somewhat less expensive than OTD programs. Finally, there will always be the option to earn an OTD in the future, once you have more clearly defined what your research, practice, or education interests are. I am personally fine with earning a master's for now, and knowing that the door is open should I want to pursue an OTD in the future (when I have an actual paycheck and a better idea of what I'd like to do with my career!) It's a tricky question, though, and a decision I'm honestly glad I didn't have to make when I applied!

Best of luck with your decisions!

Reactions: 2 users
What's making you lean towards the program over others, if you've gotten into any others so far?

One reason that I am going to my particular OTD program is because we get to do our fieldwork directly with students from the same college who are an M.D., P.A., PT, SLP and Nurse throughout the program. I am sure there are Master's programs that offer this same incentive, however, the ones I were accepted to do not. I believe that working with these other professions is a critical skill to obtain, especially if you plan to work in a hospital or some other type of inpatient care.
If your thinking about doing academics, OTD is definitely the way to go. No, you usually cannot become a full professor in a psychology or biology department for example. However, you can become a full professor in Occupational Therapy programs, where as having a masters you can teach but usually hold a title such as 'faculty advisor' or some type of program administrator.
There is no doubt that a person with 5+ years of experience with a bachelors or masters degree will be hired over a no experience OTD student, but there also is no doubt that if you are an OTD student competing with a masters student that you will have higher priority in most cases.

But it's really a subjective process, obviously masters students are going to tell you it's a waste of time and money, faculty will tell you that an OTD is a good option... In reality it's your decision. One thing to possibly think about is, if you think you will eventually go for you doctorate then do it now when your motivated to attend school. Because if you wait for 15 years and want to go into some type of academic setting your going to kick yourself in the butt wishing you already had your doctorate. If teaching OT is something you don't consider, then go for your masters. Or if you would want to teach maybe say a psychology class, get your masters and then go for a PhD in Occupational and Rehabilitation Sciences (a few schools are starting to offer this).

Reactions: 1 users
One reason that I am going to my particular OTD program is because we get to do our fieldwork directly with students from the same college who are an M.D., P.A., PT, SLP and Nurse throughout the program. I am sure there are Master's programs that offer this same incentive, however, the ones I were accepted to do not. I believe that working with these other professions is a critical skill to obtain, especially if you plan to work in a hospital or some other type of inpatient care.
If your thinking about doing academics, OTD is definitely the way to go. No, you usually cannot become a full professor in a psychology or biology department for example. However, you can become a full professor in Occupational Therapy programs, where as having a masters you can teach but usually hold a title such as 'faculty advisor' or some type of program administrator.
There is no doubt that a person with 5+ years of experience with a bachelors or masters degree will be hired over a no experience OTD student, but there also is no doubt that if you are an OTD student competing with a masters student that you will have higher priority in most cases.

But it's really a subjective process, obviously masters students are going to tell you it's a waste of time and money, faculty will tell you that an OTD is a good option... In reality it's your decision. One thing to possibly think about is, if you think you will eventually go for you doctorate then do it now when your motivated to attend school. Because if you wait for 15 years and want to go into some type of academic setting your going to kick yourself in the butt wishing you already had your doctorate. If teaching OT is something you don't consider, then go for your masters. Or if you would want to teach maybe say a psychology class, get your masters and then go for a PhD in Occupational and Rehabilitation Sciences (a few schools are starting to offer this).
Thanks for sharing! I think the thing that people are neglecting a little is that as more OTD programs are opening up, programs are going to have to have primarily OTDs and PhDs teaching. Yes, a phd is a better route, but this is one extra year for an otd vs. basically 3 minimum for a phd in OT and at least 4 in any other field, with much less geographic mobility (as I'm sure you know, but others who haven't considered a phd before looking on might not?). Yeah, a phd counts for more because it's a lot more work! It's just kind of funny that we're comparing them as "this vs. that" because of the doctor term.

The OTD program I'm looking at is about 150-160K just in tuition. 212K if you add in living expenses and books.
I'm applying because it's just a bit over 3 years, so about the same time for a masters

I am planning on attending an OTD program as well. I know the financial aspect is scary, but I think it will be worth it (some give out scholarships too!). Many schools are converting their programs over to the OTD, and if you go on the AOTA website and look at schools in the accrediting process (https://www.aota.org/education-careers/find-school.aspx), you can see that a number of new OTD programs are about to open. So, it seems like an OTD will be required in the near future--might as well get the degree now.

Also, I know many OTD programs are actually only 6 months to 1 year longer to complete than a master's program. For example, Boston University just added 6 months onto their Master's program to get the OTD. For this short of a time period, it seems pretty worth it to go for the OTD. Pursuing a post-professional OTD (an OTD after you have received your Master's) will actually take longer to complete, as most of the post-professional OTD programs take about 2 years! 6 months-1 year beats 2 years for sure!

Also, if you get the Master's now and plan on getting your post-professional OTD later, you need to account for going through this whole application process again...paying application fees again, writing a personal statement again, paying for flights and travel to attend interviews, maybe take the GRE again, get letters of recommendation again, etc. To me, this factor alone makes the OTD worth it!!

Man 150 to 200k sounds like a lot though.

Man 150 to 200k sounds like a lot though.
The OTD I'm considering vs the MOT I'm considering comes out to be around $600 (or more) per month in loan repayments over 10 years...something to think about.

The OTD I'm considering vs the MOT I'm considering comes out to be around $600 (or more) per month in loan repayments over 10 years...something to think about.

How much money are we talking about?

MOT is 60-70,000 and OTD is 130,000 ish
That might be around what I'm looking at, too (except probably cheaper for the OTD). I haven't heard back from my cheaper schools yet, anyway.

MOT is 60-70,000 and OTD is 130,000 ish

Ah nice. So the 600 monthly payment is for the MOT?

That is approx how much I am paying for my MOT, I feel bad I don't know what the payment will be lol.

That is approx how much I am paying for my MOT, I feel bad I don't know what the payment will be lol.
Eh, it's good you're not CONSTANTLY worrying like some of us on here (like me, of course)! It's important, but we can't let the doubt beat us down too much.

Actually no. My undergrad debt is about $30,000 so the monthly payment for the MOT is around $1000 and the OTD is around $1600. In case you were dying to know haha.

EDIT: and, ya know, interest.

Eh, it's good you're not CONSTANTLY worrying like some of us on here (like me, of course)! It's important, but we can't let the doubt beat us down too much.

Yeah I am just planning to pay the debt down asap the first 2 years. Im probably going to live the same way right now for at least 1 year post grad. The 2nd I will probably get a nicer car.

Yeah I gotta look into public service loan forgiveness. Not sure how it works out with hospital systems being non profit etc. Hopefully it may work out, but again with interest IDK if it is worth it.

I'm in my last semester of OT school before FWII (yay!) and I've done a bunch of research on public service loan forgiveness programs. From my understanding those who qualify include: OTs who work for state and nonprofit hospitals (including the VA), OTs who work in behavioral health, and OTs who work in Title I schools. That last one is tricky because OTs in schools bounce between several schools, so unless you are going to a district where pretty much every school is Title I, you will probably not get loan forgiveness there. So basically if you work in SI, SNFs, private hospitals (of which most actually are), etc. you won't qualify for loan forgiveness. I am hoping to work at my local nonprofit hospital or in the hospital associated with my university because public service loan forgiveness would be great. Bear in mind though, these places also tend to pay less.

The difference between OTD professors and PhD professors is generally level of research. The top OT researchers in the country are all PhDs. As some have mentioned, the profession is moving towards doctorates, however, it is not mandatory. At one time many schools thought it would be, so they started the transition, however, AOTA issued a statement last fall explaining that they were sticking with the masters as the point of entry for the profession. My school is switching to an OTD next year, and honestly it's because they got the ball rolling when the belief was that the OTD would eventually be mandatory. No turning back now. I think as the profession turns to OTDs, academia will transition to all PhDs. Professors who work at schools with their OTDs are not generally tenured and work as actual OTs in addition to teaching. Those who work solely in academia are doing research, which our profession honestly needs in order to justify our services. In the AOTA magazine I receive each month, all of the open professor positions they advertise nearly always require a PhD. I say this only to explain that an OTD is no longer an entry point to teaching, especially now that so many entry level clinicians will come out with an OTD. Also, an OTD level student competing with an MSOT student for a job would not have an edge over the masters students. It depends much more on the reputation of the school and geographic area. If I were to apply to a hospital in Chicago with my entry level OTD as a first year clinician and was competing against a masters student from UIC, the UIC student would be more likely to get the job. This student may have already had a FW placement at that hospital, for example, and their school has significant ties and a stellar reputation, especially in Chicago. Now, in five years when two people are looking to move up to management and one has an OTD, that's where you may see an edge. The OTD was created to move OTs into management positions. That's why it was originally not an entry-level program. Keep in mind, many places will pay, at least partially, for an OTD once you've worked there a couple of years. That's a huge perk if you can find a place that will do that.

Ultimately, it's everyone's personal decision and there are pros and cons to both. I would just think really hard about taking out a ton of loans to go to a program. As someone who is older (almost 30, eek!), living expenses add up quickly even when you work. Paying 1300 a month for loans is not easy and, at least for me, I don't want to live a student lifestyle after I graduate. After 2.5 years of counting pennies, I want to live more comfortably. To put it in perspective, my sister just graduated from pharmacy school with 160,000 in debt. She pays about 1400 a month in loans. She also makes 120,000 a year. I would be impressed if an OT makes that much at the end of their career, much less as a new clinician. She still complains about making the payments. Everyone is in a different situation and everyone wants something different out of their program. Just make sure that if you are taking out a lot of debt that you are super committed to that decision. Being an OT is definitely worth it, you just have to be ok with all of the sacrifices!

Reactions: 4 users
The difference between OTD professors and PhD professors is generally level of research. The top OT researchers in the country are all PhDs. As some have mentioned, the profession is moving towards doctorates, however, it is not mandatory. At one time many schools thought it would be, so they started the transition, however, AOTA issued a statement last fall explaining that they were sticking with the masters as the point of entry for the profession. My school is switching to an OTD next year, and honestly it's because they got the ball rolling when the belief was that the OTD would eventually be mandatory. No turning back now. I think as the profession turns to OTDs, academia will transition to all PhDs. Professors who work at schools with their OTDs are not generally tenured and work as actual OTs in addition to teaching. Those who work solely in academia are doing research, which our profession honestly needs in order to justify our services. In the AOTA magazine I receive each month, all of the open professor positions they advertise nearly always require a PhD. I say this only to explain that an OTD is no longer an entry point to teaching, especially now that so many entry level clinicians will come out with an OTD. Also, an OTD level student competing with an MSOT student for a job would not have an edge over the masters students. It depends much more on the reputation of the school and geographic area. If I were to apply to a hospital in Chicago with my entry level OTD as a first year clinician and was competing against a masters student from UIC, the UIC student would be more likely to get the job. This student may have already had a FW placement at that hospital, for example, and their school has significant ties and a stellar reputation, especially in Chicago. Now, in five years when two people are looking to move up to management and one has an OTD, that's where you may see an edge. The OTD was created to move OTs into management positions. That's why it was originally not an entry-level program. Keep in mind, many places will pay, at least partially, for an OTD once you've worked there a couple of years. That's a huge perk if you can find a place that will do that.
!

I understand what your saying. I said in most cases OTD will have an advantage over MOT when applying for a job you could contact multiple organizations and find that out, in a situation like you stated they would not. OTD you get to choose elective classes and have another year that you could use towards a specialization, so when it comes down to competitiveness the more educated and prepared individual will have higher priority, as with any profession. I do agree that as the profession moves towards an OTD that faculty will primarily be PhD, however this is not the case as of now. I have a personal friend who graduated from Belmont 2 years ago and was immediately hired on as a full time professor, and yes he also works independent care on weekends by choice because of the great pay. But I guess that could have been a special situation, I never really asked. I have contacted two OTD schools and asked them about teaching positions, and both said they hire/have faculty with only OTD's. Also, from what I have hear the prestige of schools is not as big of a factor as the difficulty of the curriculum.

I agree that the profession is headed that way; many programs are obviously transitioning to the entry-level OTD and many professionals in academia are getting their post-professional OTDs or PhDs to remain competitive in their fields and in academic spheres. Although there is debate about whether or not people who earn OTDs actually have more skills or knowledge than people in master's programs, the fact is that there really aren't enough professionals in the field to research thoroughly and make a determination about the difference between master's and doctorally trained OTs (at the entry level). There are certainly pros and cons to getting an OTD, with the current biggest con being the fact that there is no real difference in the amount earned by a person with an OTD or a master's (or even a bachelors, depending on experience) in comparison to the amount they spend to earn the degree. However, with most if not all programs requiring an OTD for faculty members and that being viewed as the "future" of OT , it does seem that it's the way to go if you see yourself being involved in academia.

That said, there are still many more entry level master's programs out there that train OTs just as well, and they are typically shorter and somewhat less expensive than OTD programs. Finally, there will always be the option to earn an OTD in the future, once you have more clearly defined what your research, practice, or education interests are. I am personally fine with earning a master's for now, and knowing that the door is open should I want to pursue an OTD in the future (when I have an actual paycheck and a better idea of what I'd like to do with my career!) It's a tricky question, though, and a decision I'm honestly glad I didn't have to make when I applied!

Best of luck with your decisions!

I know this is an older post but I just came across it and I'm so grateful I did. Wonderful information and exactly what I'm looking for at this time in my OT journey. Thank you!

Now that I've graduated, nobody who's reading my resume cares that I went to a #1 program. I regret spending 100k for an eduation in a field where it absolutely does not matter what school you went to as long as it's accredited. I wish I could have swallowed my pride and gone to a cheaper school considering that our curriculum is standardized anyway and most real learning you'll do takes place on fieldwork or your job.

Now that I've graduated, nobody who's reading my resume cares that I went to a #1 program. I regret spending 100k for an eduation in a field where it absolutely does not matter what school you went to as long as it's accredited. I wish I could have swallowed my pride and gone to a cheaper school considering that our curriculum is standardized anyway and most real learning you'll do takes place on fieldwork or your job.

Do you mind sharing which school you went to?

I'm not going to share my program, as I was pretty involved with student affairs in grad school and can't have the administration hunting me down for my jaded outlook. :D

Take what I said at face value and save yourself a few grand if you're torn between two programs with big price differences. If they're similarly priced, consider the one with the most freedom in selecting your level 2 fieldworks.