Is anyone else nervous about starting med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Driving into the city and getting into the apartment that will be home for at least the next four years was a very satisfying and almost comforting feeling. It just feels right. 😀

Congratulations! I'm glad you're settled in and feeling good.

But I really had to LOL after reading your post. You mentioned the two things that are currently most problematic for me right now: driving and housing. As a lifelong urban-dweller and subway-taker, I've never had a driver's license, and now I have to get one (at my age! 😱). And I'm having no luck so far finding an apartment to rent in Burlington. (I've been trying to look remotely from New York, which I don't think is going to work.)

So I now have something really tangible to be scared about: not having anyplace to live by the time school starts. And I won't even be able to live in my car, because I won't be able to buy one without a driver's license...
 
Well, after spending 8 hours working and then another 7 hours packing, driving, and unpacking, I have to say I am no longer nervous. I am over the moon excited!
:biglove: :soexcited::highfive::soexcited::biglove:

Driving into the city and getting into the apartment that will be home for at least the next four years was a very satisfying and almost comforting feeling. It just feels right. 😀

Woohoo! Give me a call when you can! 😀
 
You will do fine. Most students are nervous the first few days and then realize that medical school is in some ways easier than undergrad. This does not mean it is easy however. Find upperclassmen to talk to and seek advice from those who were once in your shoes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, after spending 8 hours working and then another 7 hours packing, driving, and unpacking, I have to say I am no longer nervous. I am over the moon excited!
:biglove: :soexcited::highfive::soexcited::biglove:

Driving into the city and getting into the apartment that will be home for at least the next four years was a very satisfying and almost comforting feeling. It just feels right. 😀

Whee, that's awesome! I'm guessing that's how most of us will feel after we actually make the move...the anticipation of change is often the worst part. It's so cool you and Nanon can hang out together too. 🙂
 
Waah - I want a non-trad buddy to hang out with IRL as well!

I take possession of my apartment tomorrow (!) - we're driving through the city on the way home from vacation so it's convenient. We'll spend a week there as a family in mid-Jiuly and classes start August 1.

Student - good luck with the driver's license. I know quite a few people who got a DL for the first time later in life and did great. 🙂 It sucks to go somewhere in person, but there's really no substitute for kicking the tires in an apartment you're considering.
 
Congratulations! I'm glad you're settled in and feeling good.

But I really had to LOL after reading your post. You mentioned the two things that are currently most problematic for me right now: driving and housing. As a lifelong urban-dweller and subway-taker, I've never had a driver's license, and now I have to get one (at my age! 😱). And I'm having no luck so far finding an apartment to rent in Burlington. (I've been trying to look remotely from New York, which I don't think is going to work.)

So I now have something really tangible to be scared about: not having anyplace to live by the time school starts. And I won't even be able to live in my car, because I won't be able to buy one without a driver's license...

Could go up there to pick an apt, get your license, buy a car...all in one fell swoop. Getting your license in VT must be a lot easier than in NY.
 
But I really had to LOL after reading your post. You mentioned the two things that are currently most problematic for me right now: driving and housing. As a lifelong urban-dweller and subway-taker, I've never had a driver's license, and now I have to get one (at my age! 😱). And I'm having no luck so far finding an apartment to rent in Burlington. (I've been trying to look remotely from New York, which I don't think is going to work.)..


OMG you never learned to drive?! 😱

How did you manage to get through high school and college?

This reminds me so much of that Sex and the City episode where the girls all pile into a convertible before realizing that none of them could drive 🙂

Are you planning on learning how to drive right now? Where are you going to park when you're in NYC? Don't they have public transportation around UVermont?
 
You will do fine. Most students are nervous the first few days and then realize that medical school is in some ways easier than undergrad. This does not mean it is easy however. Find upperclassmen to talk to and seek advice from those who were once in your shoes.

How can it be easier than undergrad? Don't you have to take like 7-8 science classes per semester?
 
Could go up there to pick an apt, get your license, buy a car...all in one fell swoop.

Went up to Burlington this morning, and I now have two things: an apt (for Aug 1) and a local bank account. Apartments up here are quite expensive for such a small city, thanks to heavy student demand, and I had to cough up $1000 a month for an OK (not spectacular) 1-br.

I still need the driver's license (as well as car) but that will have to wait until we get back from vacation in 2 weeks. And of course I still have to move in and furnish the place ...
 
School starts next week for me, and I just finished cleaning out my office today. Nervous, yet excited!

Is it just me, or has anyone else here experienced people giving you a negative attitude - e.g., coworkers making comments about how much you're not going to like med school, how this means that you're "starting all over from the bottom", etc.? (I even had a coworker tell me today that the job that I'm leaving is "a doctor's vacation".)

Personally, I see med school as another step on my life's journey - a big step for sure, but one that of course will build on and incorporate things that I've learned in the past. I guess it's just not for everyone.
 
School starts next week for me, and I just finished cleaning out my office today. Nervous, yet excited!

Is it just me, or has anyone else here experienced people giving you a negative attitude - e.g., coworkers making comments about how much you're not going to like med school, how this means that you're "starting all over from the bottom", etc.? (I even had a coworker tell me today that the job that I'm leaving is "a doctor's vacation".)

Personally, I see med school as another step on my life's journey - a big step for sure, but one that of course will build on and incorporate things that I've learned in the past. I guess it's just not for everyone.

Two words: Jealous Bitches.

And yes, I've gotten that attitude, as well as some pretty peculiar reactions in other settings, too. I've started saying that I'm going to school, and leaving out the "medical" part. Whatev.
 
Not that many people have congratulated me...
Two words: Jealous Bitches.

And yes, I've gotten that attitude, as well as some pretty peculiar reactions in other settings, too. I've started saying that I'm going to school, and leaving out the "medical" part. Whatev.
 
Not that many people have congratulated me...

I know what you mean. It's almost like some people think that it's inappropriate for an older person to give up a job to go to med school.

But that's their problem. My close friends all think it's amazing!
 
That's too bad you guys aren't getting good energy from those around you. I've been meeting a lot of very encouraging strangers myself, like the nurse who did my TB test today. I left with a warm happy glow. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I like the peculiar reactions. Having others be jealous of your situation is the best feeling in the world.

When I put in my two weeks notice, I informed my manager that I'd be flying to Paris, then leaving for South Florida when school starts. The idiot said, "Paris? Miami? What could possibly be there?"

I just let his jealousy wash over me, and it felt warm and cozy, like a blanket does on a cold night.
 
it's always pretty nerve wracking when you're stepping into a new environment but sourcing out and trying to find as many things as possible should just help you...anyways goodluck on your relocation...it's never too late to do something...a few years from now people might just congratulate you if they see you doing well 🙂


 
I'm starting to get nervous too. Looking at previous year's student profiles, I'll either be the oldest guy in my class or one of 2 or 3 that are older than 35. I sure hope I have at least a few pals in the over 35 company.
 
I'm starting to get nervous too. Looking at previous year's student profiles, I'll either be the oldest guy in my class or one of 2 or 3 that are older than 35. I sure hope I have at least a few pals in the over 35 company.

Our orientation starts this week, and I've already met a couple of people in this category with me. I also found out that there's a nontrad group who socialize together out of class. Hopefully you'll find the same at your school.

I have to say, though, that some of my classmates look really young. It's a bit disconcerting at times. 😛
 
I have to say, though, that some of my classmates look really young. It's a bit disconcerting at times. 😛

My sister and I went to school the other day because she wanted to get some swag (t-shirts, hats, etc) for her kids, who seem more excited about me getting into medical school than anyone else. Anyhoo, yes. All the students sitting in the main lounge area looked like they were still in high school to us. We both felt exceedingly old by the time we left. (Oh, wait... that's because I am exceedingly old).

I got a mug, though. And one of those stickers you put in your car window. I like self-identifying myself as a big dork. Lol.
 
Just added my class calendar to my google calendar!!!! I am ridiculously excited about a lecture schedule. 😀
 
I'm starting to get nervous too. Looking at previous year's student profiles, I'll either be the oldest guy in my class or one of 2 or 3 that are older than 35.

Judging from Facebook, I'm definitely the oldest person in my class--by a lot. I don't think there's anyone who's even 35, and I only know of one 30-year-old (who, of course, joked on his profile about being "old").

I guess it really shouldn't be too surprising, given the numbers. From the AMCAS statistics I've seen, I'd estimate that there are probably only about 100 people my age and older--and maybe not even that many--matriculating in med school each year. That averages out to less than 1 per school.

I really wonder whether I'll be able to make any friends. I know I can get by without them if I really have to, but it could be a lonely four years.
 
Judging from Facebook, I'm definitely the oldest person in my class--by a lot. I don't think there's anyone who's even 35, and I only know of one 30-year-old (who, of course, joked on his profile about being "old").

I guess it really shouldn't be too surprising, given the numbers. From the AMCAS statistics I've seen, I'd estimate that there are probably only about 100 people my age and older--and maybe not even that many--matriculating in med school each year. That averages out to less than 1 per school.

I really wonder whether I'll be able to make any friends. I know I can get by without them if I really have to, but it could be a lonely four years.

I worried about this too, but after a week of orientation and a first day of classes today (all of which has felt like a short lifetime), I haven't felt too out of place among my classmates (I'm 37). We're all united by the bond of starting med school together, and while I might not share all of everybody's interests, there are plenty of people who seem to want to just make as many friends as possible. Cheers, and best of luck to you! 🙂
 
I worried about this too, but after a week of orientation and a first day of classes today (all of which has felt like a short lifetime), I haven't felt too out of place among my classmates (I'm 37). We're all united by the bond of starting med school together, and while I might not share all of everybody's interests, there are plenty of people who seem to want to just make as many friends as possible. Cheers, and best of luck to you! 🙂

Geez, I am 38 and hope to god there are people my age there. Though, when I think about going back to get my pre reqs when most of th ekids in my class were younger, I was able find a common ground with the more serious kids......Either way it is two weeks an counting and every day is tough. Got a sample of the notes from last year anatomy class note service today.....I was like oh s**t this is one day, one class and i is nine pages. Oh, and it is all over my head. What am I doing????

Yeah, I'm a bit nervous.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
^ yup!

When I went back to take ochem I was pleased to note that none of them could tell how old I am. Of course I couldn't tell how old they were either so maybe that's just me.

My family and I are spending the week setting up my new place. The kids are pretty excited to be here! Today I figured out where to run across 2 freeway ramps and a surface "freeway" in order to walk to school the short way. 😛 I think I'll bring a bike as well.
 
actually it's the people around me who are getting me excited for med school. One of my co-workers (an awesome lady in general) told me to forget leaving the people at work because what I'm doing is more important. She's even making me a book bag for my books.

I've just been telling people I was going to grad school but my friends have finally convinced me to be proud of getting into med school and own it.

Made a giant (ceiling to floor) list of all the things still left for the wedding, the move, and school. It all seems manageable now that this giant thing has been turned into it's little bits that I can cross off with glee.

Sent all my paperwork in last week. Got my apartment paperwork sorted out today. Found a furnished brand new apartment close to campus that'll let me have my dogs (at a $1000 charge of course) and maybe even a roommate. Signed on to coach the rugby team there so I have things to do and not get homesick. Going to take the car in for a tune up tomorrow for the cross country drive.

It's definitely a lot less nerve racking now that I'm making progress towards school rather than hanging around waiting for documents to come. I'm begining to get to know people at school and outside of it (hurray facebook). I have yet to meet someone my age from school. So many of them are fresh graduates. Luckily, I'm asian, I think if I don't tell them, they won't know how old I really am. There are some in that group that are way more serious now that I'll ever be.
 
I'm nervous but its just normal jitters.

When I was 18-21, most my coworkers thought I was 22-24. When I was 27-30, most fellow students thought I was 22-24.

I just had a physical for health forms to turn into the med school and the doctor mentioned I looked young for my age. Looking at old photos, I look about the same or younger now (from weight loss.)

I'm not going to say jack **** about how old I am in med school. Maybe there is no age bias, but I'm not going to go out of my way to find out.
 
Absolutely. I hate it every time other students say "so and so in my class is the oldest." I have no desire to tell anyone my age. If someone leaks this info, I can gauruntee you, I will get mad. When I took pre-reqs, I never told anyone.


I'm nervous but its just normal jitters.

When I was 18-21, most my coworkers thought I was 22-24. When I was 27-30, most fellow students thought I was 22-24.

I just had a physical for health forms to turn into the med school and the doctor mentioned I looked young for my age. Looking at old photos, I look about the same or younger now (from weight loss.)

I'm not going to say jack **** about how old I am in med school. Maybe there is no age bias, but I'm not going to go out of my way to find out.
 
So tomorrow is my last day of work... I have worked since age 15 and am not sure what to do with myself for the next four weeks!

Although I suppose the munchkins will keep me quite entertained...😍

I do have to admit the lack of a paycheck does make me nervous! 😱
 
So tomorrow is my last day of work... I have worked since age 15 and am not sure what to do with myself for the next four weeks!

Although I suppose the munchkins will keep me quite entertained...😍

I do have to admit the lack of a paycheck does make me nervous! 😱

Hang out with us! 🙂
 
So tomorrow is my last day of work... I have worked since age 15 and am not sure what to do with myself for the next four weeks!

Although I suppose the munchkins will keep me quite entertained...😍

I do have to admit the lack of a paycheck does make me nervous! 😱

same here. worked since I was 14.......I actually developed a horrible cold! I think I stressed my self out soo dmn much I got sick. I havent been sick in 4 years of walking in and out of drs offices with every nasty disease under the sun and now I get sick...........Now I have all week to obsess......and blow my nose.:scared:
 
Hey guys!

I think my way of dealing with the "OMG, what am I getting myself into?" issue has been to avoid thinking about anything real related to med school this summer! (Can you say Hulu?!? My husband and I have been doing marathon sessions of Chuck, Fringe, 30 Rock, etc. And it has kind of worked!) Extreme procrastinator that I am, I have done VERY little to prepare thus far . . . even stupid things like forwarding my transcripts (just checked that off the list; still need to work on gathering my immunization records!) It helped that I had almost no info from my school until last week, when they sent our lab assignments, 2nd year mentors, and orientation schedule. (Sindadel, I am quite jealous of the fact that you have a class schedule already!!)

But now, it's all catching up with me. This is my last week of work (and I have waaay too much to do! eek!) And then I have 2 weeks to pack, move, unpack, and get settled before orientation. Oh, and my mom wants to come like 4 days earlier than the white coat ceremony so we can hang out "while I have some time off" . . . which takes that second week effectively to zero. Yep, so I pretty much know that I can forget about things like hanging pictures on the walls of our new place until Christmas break, perhaps. 🙂 (we did secure housing in late June, though, so that's all set . . . and I'm so excited because we're renting a little house!!)

And yes, the med school thing is becoming more real now . . . and I'm starting to get nervous . . . mostly (LOL) about my procrastinator tendencies, as I know I'm really going to have to fight those and gain some good study habits. Hope it's not too late for that! :xf::scared:

I've never had a driver's license, and now I have to get one (at my age! 😱).

I have to say, I am waaay jealous that you've never needed to drive. (My new mantra is: big city for Residency, big city for Residency!) It's highly overrated!

So, how's all of that going? I had a friend who did a similar thing a few years back: learned to drive for the first time and then put in massive hours on the road the next few years - it will all turn out OK!

Is it just me, or has anyone else here experienced people giving you a negative attitude

Oh, wow . . . sorry to hear about that. I am now thankful that everyone has been so thrilled for me. I never thought about this, but I guess I'm leaving a pretty lowly job to do this, so everyone probably sees it as a big step up . . . I bet there would be a lot more questions/naysayers if that was not the case (or if they knew that this secretary has a master's degree :laugh:)

Let me add that starting off with a clean state is AWESOME

AGREED!!!!! I just hope I can keep it clean for a while. 😉

I really wonder whether I'll be able to make any friends. I know I can get by without them if I really have to, but it could be a lonely four years.

You will make friends, no doubt about it. If you're as cool, fun, and supportive IRL as you are on these boards, it's a given. 😀 i.e., If we were in the same class, I feel like we'd be instant friends, as I perceive all kinds of similarities in our attitudes, etc. (vs. differences in age). I'm 28, though, so the only question might be whether you're OK with having friends who are X years younger than you. You might surprise yourself and make some lifelong friends . . . or maybe just some friends who can help you through these next 4 years. Either way, I think there will be more to bond over than any of us might realize just yet! Particularly with ANY non-trads, whether 26 or 50, as we all have that extra "weirdness factor" and feelings of being older and out of place.

Ok, everyone, good luck!! :luck: I'm gonna go back to procrastinating for the rest of the evening . . . while I still can. 🙂
 
Hang out with us! 🙂


We have to get together later this week... my three keep calling every new child they meet by your oldest's first name! :laugh:

Call me! 🙂

(And so far, I like this whole unemployment thing... we'll see how much so when the $$$ begins to run out!)
 
new batch of students about to start...

please tell me i am not the only one scared out of my mind while being completely overjoyed?!?!!?
 
I have been working at the same company for almost 12 years and my last day is Thursday the 29th which is 4 days before orientation begins. I thought by pushing it to that date, I could earn as much money as possible and also not have too much time on my hands to get too freaked about starting school.

I really appreciate the person starting this thread because as much as I too am excited about becoming a doctor, I am also really anxious to get through the first couple of months and get into a routine.

I will be commuting to school on the weekdays and then returning home to my family on the weekends. I am really nervous about the impact of change on my family and keep trying to give myself pep talks ..."just make it to Thanksgiving...just make it to Thanksgiving."😱
 
Good luck to those starting. Find your focus early on and keep with it. As a mommy to 2 young boys, each week has its share of struggles but finding some sort of routine and having realistic expectations goes a long way.
 
I have been working at the same company for almost 12 years and my last day is Thursday the 29th which is 4 days before orientation begins. I thought by pushing it to that date, I could earn as much money as possible and also not have too much time on my hands to get too freaked about starting school.

I really appreciate the person starting this thread because as much as I too am excited about becoming a doctor, I am also really anxious to get through the first couple of months and get into a routine.

I will be commuting to school on the weekdays and then returning home to my family on the weekends. I am really nervous about the impact of change on my family and keep trying to give myself pep talks ..."just make it to Thanksgiving...just make it to Thanksgiving."😱

I'm doing something similar (I'm at med school in VT, but the family is in NY), now going into second year. At first I was going home every single weekend, but once I hit anatomy that had to change, and I settled into a new pattern of going home every 2-3 weeks. But we survived just fine, thanks to Skype and lots of understanding from the family.

If this is what you've wanted for a long time, it will be worth it no matter what. Just try to be fearless and take every day as it comes. Good luck--I'm sure you'll do great.
 
I'm a non-trad starting vet school in a month and going through many of the same emotions. It's hard to really imagine how much life is going to change over the next four years. :scared:

Good luck to you all! :luck:
 
I'm going to add that in a year, it will be interesting for you to look back at this thread! 😉

One year down- it was interesting and exciting. There were obviously times when it was hard, no doubt about it. But there were times when it is so worth it just seeing the pride in my family as I move forward. (Like the white coat ceremony- as a family with few who have attended college and the only one to go past a BS, it was quite an experience!)

So, acknowledge the fears/anxiety as you enter this year, but know that soon you will be submerged in a new world of anatomy, biochem, and histology. And if you are like me, those fears will just simply melt away!

Good luck to all! :luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experiences as a med student. The support really helps. I look around and see several other people/couples my age who are gearing toward vacations, fun, and relaxing...after working hard to accomplish much, now they can settle in and enjoy the fruits of their labor. I could have such an easy life and instead take on one of the hardest pathways possible. I think I am also worried how this is going to impact my husband who has been so supportive.

I also love that you commented on how you stopped caring about your hair and clothes! Going to the mall and checking out the season's new shoes and clothes used to rev me up. It just doesn't seem to be enough to keep me satisfied but I sure wish it was. My life would be so much simpler if I could be like most people I know but I've never been that way. Remember all the kids we hung out with when we were young who were easy-going, playful and never took things too seriously? I always needed more complex work and have always been deeply analytical. Emotions are tricky for me to understand but maybe my feelings are related to wishing I was not the intense, driven, deep-thinking individual that I am, always wanting to learn more.

I am glad you shared your description of "roller coaster of emotions" that you experienced. I'll remember that when I am heavy into the first semester.

oh look, OP is now a resident. Lovely!