Is anyone willing to review and help me optimize my cv for PhD applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

propsych

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are, please let me know and I'll pm you my cv. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't mind taking a look at it, but take my feedback with a grain of salt of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw your post in the WAMC thread and your interest is developmental and social psych programs. I think a big majority of us on this board are clinical psychologists who don’t work in academia so our suggestions may not be as relevant.

I’d recommend looking at the CVs of PIs you’re applying to and maybe more importantly, their current graduate students if those are available on a lab webpage or via other sources and tailoring your CV to match where possible. Good luck!

You’ll see both what they did prior to admissions to get a better sense of fit/how you stack up, as well as stylistic points.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I saw your post in the WAMC thread and your interest is developmental and social psych programs. I think a big majority of us on this board are clinical psychologists who don’t work in academia so our suggestions may not be as relevant.

I’d recommend looking at the CVs of PIs you’re applying to and maybe more importantly, their current graduate students if those are available on a lab webpage or via other sources and tailoring your CV to match where possible. Good luck!

You’ll see both what they did prior to admissions to get a better sense of fit/how you stack up, as well as stylistic points.
I'm a professor and could do this...but let me save you and the other nice people on here some time. With the assumption that your undergrad GPA and GRE scores are strong (and...I mean...don't apply if they're not because everyone else's are) and that you intend to pursue a quality training program (rather than a worthless diploma mill degree, the rationale for this having been discussed ad infinitum here), the way to "optimize" your CV is to get your name on publications and abstracts. That's it. No amount of volunteering on a crisis help line or working as a camp counselor is helpful. Just. Do. More. Research.

Reactions: 3 users