Is APA accreditation on contingency hard to get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ExecutiveDysfunction

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Random question. Relatively new psychologist. I’m a clinical supervisor and I’m getting a bunch of applications for training positions from programs which “intend to apply” for APA but are not on contingency.

Is the bar to get contingency low? I don’t want to support non-APA programs but also realize I dont know much about the process for newer programs. I see many new programs that have contingent accreditation pretty early (definitely within starting a few cohorts) so I imagine non-contingent programs are pretty low quality. Just curious
 
The requirements themselves aren't necessarily stringent, but the process is fairly burdensome/time-intensive from an administrative standpoint. If the training director has had experience attaining or maintaining accreditation before, it'll likely go more quickly, but it's still a bit of a slog when starting from scratch.

If the program has only been around a couple years, seems solid overall, and is at a reputable university, I wouldn't have concerns. If it's been around a while and/or the parent school does not have a good reputation, I'd be more worried.