Is "applying to a school" a primary or having completed a secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4goneconclusion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's this question whenever you add schools, but what happens if you didn't submit a secondary. Does that count? Also, how big a disadvantage is it? Should I be adding random other schools just on the off chance that I might have a better shot being a pseudo first-time applicant?

p.s. I'm Canadian if that means anything.

Members don't see this ad.

There's this question whenever you add schools, but what happens if you didn't submit a secondary. Does that count? Also, how big a disadvantage is it? Should I be adding random other schools just on the off chance that I might have a better shot being a pseudo first-time applicant?

p.s. I'm Canadian if that means anything.

If you have submitted AMCAS, you have completed your primary. The school specific stuff you get mailed thereafter is the secondary. If you submitted a primary and didn't get in anyplace you are a reapplicant the next time you prepare a primary. All med schools will see that you submitted a prior AMCAS so you will not be regarded as a first time applicant.

So for example, I submitted a primary to Boston, Rosalind and Wayne State, but I only completed the secondary to Boston. Rosalind and Wayne will still consider me a reapplicant to that specific institution?

As far as I know, you are a reapplicant if you have ever applied to any school. If you submitted a primary to a given school, then you have applied there as well (even without a secondary).

No real disadvantage to being a reapplicant; besides the fact that something in your app kept you out the first time.