Is athletic training worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HisWill

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been checking out different threads on this forum and it's been helpful. I want to do Athletic training for my undergrad. However, don't know if it'll be worth it in the end since I probably won't be able to work while earning my degree, it might take me an extra year to finish to finish all my requirements, and don't know how hard it will be to boost my GPA since I currently have a mediocre GPA(around 3.0). I'm currently at a CC so I will be applying as a transfer student soon. I'm also considering kinesiology/exercise science and some bridge programs for DPT but I'll try all and see what are my options. I appreciate any feedback, especially if it's from a former/current atc/dpt student.

Members don't see this ad.

I majored in athletic training during my 4 years of undergrad and was also accepted to PT school in my 4th year. I also was working part time with some club teams nearby. It definitely is possible if you know how to plan ahead and can manage time efficiently. I admit, it took a lot of discipline, sanity and patience to attend class from 8 am- 12 pm, followed by clinical rotations from 1-6.. and then booking it down at the library from 7 pm -12 AM Mon-Friday, and I'm not even including game days.

An athletic training degree allowed me to work various camps for way better pay during my time off on weekends, winter and summer break. (something that I will continue to do in PT school).

If you know what the majority of the Pre-reqs are, I'd highly recommend that you take them within the 4 years of undergrad which will most likely include your summers.

Majoring in Athletic training was probably the best decision I could have made as a freshman in college.

Best of Luck in whatever you decide to do!

Last edited:
I really appreciate your input. I'm going to apply to transfer this upcoming fall and I'm definitely considering athletic training as my top choice. But again, I'll see how it all turns out when I hear back.