Is August too late for DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dewballs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think I'll be screwing myself if I wait until August to take the DAT? I'm finishing up this semester around mid-May and I'm goign to be stopping my job and studying the DAT until I decide to take it. So much of my application is riding on the DAT so I want to get in as much studying as I possibly can. I'm going to try to get the application out by end of may/beginning of June. IS it a bad idea to wait that long to take the test? Should i try to take it in july sometime to better my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

dewballs said:
Do you think I'll be screwing myself if I wait until August to take the DAT? I'm finishing up this semester around mid-May and I'm goign to be stopping my job and studying the DAT until I decide to take it. So much of my application is riding on the DAT so I want to get in as much studying as I possibly can. I'm going to try to get the application out by end of may/beginning of June. IS it a bad idea to wait that long to take the test? Should i try to take it in july sometime to better my chances?
Im in the same position as you. Alot is riding on my DAT scores as well! But i wont be taking the DAT tell late july, EARLY August... YOu should be fine, just try to time it right. Try to get the DAT scores to arrive at the schools about the same time as AADSAS does and you will have no problem!

i submitted my app late july last year, took my dat in late august, and my dat scores beat my app to the schools. all of my interviews were in november and i heard from the 3 schools that i accepted interviews at by dec. 1st. its definitely not too late-just make sure you submit aadsas in july or at least 8 wks before you take the dat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took DAT August 15th, submitted AADSAS August 29th. Very bumpy road along the way, but in the end, very favorable results!

I took it in early Oct and submitted the application in mid Oct.

i didn't take mine until mid-sept, still got into my top choices. if you can though, take the DAT by mid-august and submit your AADSAS by mid-june. :thumbup:

This is good to hear. I was starting to get really nervous about August being too late. DAT is going to be my full time job for a few months come the end of this semester.

i took the DAT in september of last year, applied to 4 schools and had 2 acceptances before the new year. you should be fine.

If you submit your application in late May/early June it wont be processed till mid July and wont be received by schools until early August and that is when most schools start reviewing aplications. If you take your DAT in early August, you should still be in good shape. Remember, this past cycle, most interview spots were given out by mid September.

Don't worry, just apply early (like you planned) and make sure your DAT scores are sent to all your schools. I wouldn't fret about interviews, my app wasn't mailed until mid-October I had all my interviews from late November on and had no problem getting into some great schools. Most of my interview invites were in December, January and February.

Best of luck!

dewballs said:

you want me to make you feel guys comfortable?? I took mine August 19th.. applied september 11th -- schools didn't get them until november or some crazy date.. interviews came in around december - january. -- NOW understand that i would say i am exception, because i did well on my dats and my gpa wasn't too shabby in addition i had some great recommendations from professors in dental school (shadowing..)