Is Average good enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ulsme34

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I hope you realize that online IQ tests have about as much reliability and validity as teen surveys that rank your flirtatiousness.

Hello everybody. his may seem silly but I took an IQ test for kicks and giggles and I received a 100. I was wondering if an average iq would be good enough to make it into medical school. It kind of crushed my entire confidence this year as I did not do my best academically. I have been told countless times that all a person needs is an average IQ to succeed but I am still wondering. What do you all think?

Who cares? Hard-work and perseverance can match natural intelligence, but you will be jelly. So jelly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, IQ tests are irrelevant. Don't waste time worrying about them. Focus on your classes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. It was actually a professionally administered test. I don't know... I thought it was a bit funny to take the test. But I guess nobody cares as long as a person can do their job well.

I hope you realize that online IQ tests have about as much reliability and validity as teen surveys that rank your flirtatiousness.

I like to think this as well, although every online "IQ" test I've taken results in a very similar score to the Stanford-Binet I took. Could be a coincidence, but maybe they are legit.

I probably have an average intelligence and I got into several DO schools and will be matriculating at a great MD school. Work hard as hell. Work ethic is more important than raw intelligence (although being freakishly smart and hard working is the best of both worlds).

I probably have an average intelligence and I got into several DO schools and will be matriculating at a great MD school. Work hard as hell. Work ethic is more important than raw intelligence (although being freakishly smart and hard working is the best of both worlds).

Depends how intelligent you are, but I agree in most cases. I know someone who studied for the MCAT during fall/thanksgiving break, went to europe for christmas vacation, then came back and got a 39 on his MCAT in January. Maybe he studied in Europe, but I doubt it.

Depends how intelligent you are, but I agree in most cases. I know someone who studied for the MCAT during fall/thanksgiving break, went to europe for christmas vacation, then came back and got a 39 on his MCAT in January. Maybe he studied in Europe, but I doubt it.

Hahaha yes of course there are going to be exceptions. I have a friend who was similarly like that. I guess my point was that the OP shouldn't be panicked with being "average". As long as they can pull up their bootstraps and care enough to put the work in, they have at least a fighting chance.

Hahaha yes of course there are going to be exceptions. I have a friend who was similarly like that. I guess my point was that the OP shouldn't be panicked with being "average". As long as they can pull up their bootstraps and care enough to put the work in, they have at least a fighting chance.

I tend to agree, but someone with an IQ of 100 is technically of below average intelligence. Last I checked, average was 110.

As others have said, though, your IQ (especially an online IQ) is pretty insignificant. If you can perform well in your sciences and the MCAT you can probably survive medical school. A low IQ does not necessarily indicate that you can't learn well or do well as a student or physician.

From the other side of the spectrum, I know people with vastly lower IQs than me (>20) who have studied less than me in certain classes and gotten better grades. I tried hard, they tried less-hard, and they still ended up with higher scores. Just shows that IQ means very little.

I tend to agree, but someone with an IQ of 100 is technically of below average intelligence. Last I checked, average was 110.

As others have said, though, your IQ (especially an online IQ) is pretty insignificant. If you can perform well in your sciences and the MCAT you can probably survive medical school. A low IQ does not necessarily indicate that you can't learn well or do well as a student or physician.

From the other side of the spectrum, I know people with vastly lower IQs than me (>20) who have studied less than me in certain classes and gotten better grades. I tried hard, they tried less-hard, and they still ended up with higher scores. Just shows that IQ means very little.

No. The average for all people is 100. Asians are 110, Jews are 115, etc.

No. The average for all people is 100. Asians are 110, Jews are 115, etc.

What? Considering every third person in the world is Chinese, an average of 100 would assume a large population of non Asians with less than 100 iq. Unless sample size was unrepresentative of the entire population, which would discredit the notion of IQ to begin with.

Is this a joke? I can't tell through the Internet.

Final thought that others have already pointed out: IQ is a somewhat pointless number. Ignore your IQ and just dominate instead.

What? Considering every third person in the world is Chinese, an average of 100 would assume a large population of non Asians with less than 100 iq. Unless sample size was unrepresentative of the entire population, which would discredit the notion of IQ to begin with.

Is this a joke? I can't tell through the Internet.

Final thought that others have already pointed out: IQ is a somewhat pointless number. Ignore your IQ and just dominate instead.

1 in 6. Also a good amount of nations have average IQs that are in the 80s.