Is becoming a doctor even possible for me?

Lizziebaba

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are some threads like this, but my questions are so specific that I couldn´t find one that exactly answered what I need to know. Also, not in high school, but also not pre-med so I wasn´t sure where to put this other than in here.

Alright, so let´s just say there are so many obstacles and things in the way of me possibly going the doctor route, that I just want to straight up know if it is even possible.

For as long as I can remember, I have always wanted to be a doctor. The reason I didn´t decide to go the premed route is because I am not exactly mathematically inclined (at this point, the last math class I took was my first semester of my senior year of high school). I kind of dismissed the dream so that I could do something more realistic (communications) but I just can´t see myself in it anymore. Sure, I like my classes, and I´m at one of the best universities to study media communications (NYU), but I don´t think I like it enough to make it a career. I´m just afraid it´s too late. I´m already a second semester junior, with absolutely no space in the credits I have left to take classes that aren´t related to my major or core requirements. The more I´m starting to feel like I made a mistake with deciding to forego my doctor dream, the more I have been researching everything about the profession, med school, requirements, experiences, etc, and even though it seems impossible, I feel like I am going to hate myself for not going for it.
I just have no clue what to do now. I don´t know any doctors to get input from, I don´t have any experience volunteering in hospitals or shadowing doctors, or anything. I don´t even have any "pre-med" courses that I have taken so far as a college student. I took a bio class over the summer, but it was just an 8 week course and just so that I could transfer it for one of my gen ed requirements (which, I LOVED biology, of course). Now, I have no idea what to do from here. I was hoping for input, possibly if I could message someone?

Also, I keep reading about "EC" experience or something. What is this referring to?

Thanks so much. I have no idea where to turn to.

Members don't see this ad.

I know there are some threads like this, but my questions are so specific that I couldn´t find one that exactly answered what I need to know. Also, not in high school, but also not pre-med so I wasn´t sure where to put this other than in here.

Alright, so let´s just say there are so many obstacles and things in the way of me possibly going the doctor route, that I just want to straight up know if it is even possible.

For as long as I can remember, I have always wanted to be a doctor. The reason I didn´t decide to go the premed route is because I am not exactly mathematically inclined (at this point, the last math class I took was my first semester of my senior year of high school). I kind of dismissed the dream so that I could do something more realistic (communications) but I just can´t see myself in it anymore. Sure, I like my classes, and I´m at one of the best universities to study media communications (NYU), but I don´t think I like it enough to make it a career. I´m just afraid it´s too late. I´m already a second semester junior, with absolutely no space in the credits I have left to take classes that aren´t related to my major or core requirements. The more I´m starting to feel like I made a mistake with deciding to forego my doctor dream, the more I have been researching everything about the profession, med school, requirements, experiences, etc, and even though it seems impossible, I feel like I am going to hate myself for not going for it.
I just have no clue what to do now. I don´t know any doctors to get input from, I don´t have any experience volunteering in hospitals or shadowing doctors, or anything. I don´t even have any "pre-med" courses that I have taken so far as a college student. I took a bio class over the summer, but it was just an 8 week course and just so that I could transfer it for one of my gen ed requirements (which, I LOVED biology, of course). Now, I have no idea what to do from here. I was hoping for input, possibly if I could message someone?

Also, I keep reading about "EC" experience or something. What is this referring to?

Thanks so much. I have no idea where to turn to.

First off, I'll say that I'm just a pre-med so take my advice for what it's worth. But medicine is far from impossible for you in my pre-med opinion (assuming your GPA is at least okay). You have a long way to go, but you haven't screwed yourself over or anything. TONS of people take a non-traditional route (meaning they don't just get a degree and then apply to med school), and TONS of those people make it in to stellar programs.

The first thing I would do before you really commit yourself is shadow a couple of different doctors and see if what they do is something you really want to do. A lot of people like the idea of being a doctor, but when they shadow they see it really isn't their cup of tea. Not saying that'll be the case for you, but it's a great place to start.

Side note: When people mention "EC's" they're referring to extra-curricular activities.

Reactions: 3 users
at this point if youre really stuck with your undergrad requirements, I'd say finish out with communications. i mean, a communications degree from NYU in your back pocket won't kill you. if you have some free time in your summers, continue to knock out a science course here and there as you can. there's programs called "post-baccs/post-baccalaureate" programs that are designed to help people with weak applications to strengthen their apps, or for people without any science background to take the pre-reqs for medical school. some are run independently, some are run by medical schools. some will get you just a certificate, and some will get you a masters. cross that bridge when you come to it. for now i would say just shadow as much as you can and decide if this really is for you. crush your grades in your remaining classes. then start researching your options. the goucher college post bacc program is sweet.... but don't be dismayed! i was a poli-sci major for my undergrad. i did all my prereqs, research, shadowing/volunteering, etc in one year. i mean it was a hard and crappy year, but now im a resident haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's completely possible! you will have a long road since you are starting late. i.e. you probably won't be able to apply directly to medical school after you get your BS. It may take a few extra years. But as sonofva said, you can look into post-bac or special masters programs, which are intended for people who take a non-traditional path to medical school or need a boost in their undergrad GPA. Or you may want to take an extra year of undergrad to finish up your pre-med requirements.

Lots of people in my medical school class have taken non-traditional paths to get here! People have had previous careers in non-medical fields, ran their own small businesses, gotten PhDs, etc before deciding on pursuing a MD. Of course, many people still go the traditional route of undergrad then straight to medical school -- but that's certainly not the only path.

By EC's, people mean extracurriculars -- research, volunteering, etc. The place I would start is your school's career advisory office. I would be honest with your situation and ask them how you can get onto the medical school path. The reality of it though is that to be a successful applicant you need to have a relatively high GPA and MCAT scores. You can also buy or check out a copy of the MSAR (medical school admissions requirements) book, which will have average and spread of GPAs and MCAT scores for all US schools to get a sense of what you need to get. There are also a host of other admissions books on amazon -- I would pick one with lots of good reviews to get a sense of the application process. If you have more specific questions, shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to chat. Good luck!

Thank you everyone so much. I have an okay GPA I think (3.65 - or is that still probably too low to get into a good Bbac?), and I do think I should finish out my degree at NYU (mostly because I've paid so much for this damn tuition already, and it's not even worth it if I don't get my NYU BA. Anyway, I'm not sure how to go about shadowing a doctor, as I don't know any on a personal level whatsoever. I've done a lot of research but I have no idea where to start. I will be in NYC through the next semester, summer, and next fall for sure, and I know that there are a ton of hospitals that could be options. Do you have to apply for a hospital volunteer position? If so, do I have a good chance of getting accepted even though I'm not pre-med?

Anyway, as far as asking my advisor, I know it sounds silly, but I'm kind of embarrassed about all of this. I've only told one person that I'm even considering this [crazy] idea and I got, "But you're not good at math?" Which is true. And I've heard so many horror stories about orgo, that's nearly enough to make me question everything.

Last edited:
It is very possible, in fact, your situation was much like mine, only you realized you may want to go to medical school much earlier than I did. I did a degree in political science, spent 10 years in an emergency medical services career, then did a degree in biology and applied to med school. I'll be nearly 33 when med school starts in July, so, you are in much better shape, at least you did not wait until you were 29 to decide.

On to the math thing, when I was in high school, I did very poorly in math, to the tune of C's. That was actually one of the main factors as to why I went with a degree like political science (no math requirement). When I started my biology degree, I hadn't done any more math than was necessary to calculate drug dosages as a paramedic since graduating high school (that was 14 years prior). I spent the summer before starting my biology going through Algebra and Trig for Dummies books. I had a couple of really great math professors in college and found that when properly taught, I was actually very good at math and ended up getting A's in my Calculus classes. My point is that I would give yourself a chance as far as math before writing that off completely, you may surprise yourself.

If your school has a pre-health advisor perhaps sit down with them, and discuss your plans. If your undergrad school is like mine, your advisor is a professor in your major and it is unlikely they can tell you very much about what you need to pursue medicine. The school's prehealth advisor would be your best source of info.

There is absolutely no reason you could not become a physician. Your GPA is good. Math is not a critical physician skill- I have probably done a math equation once by hand in medical school, and that was some simple middle school level algebra. The MCAT is a bit more difficult, but even the math there can be simplified. I'm horrible at math, and I'm a medical student, so take it from me, you can do it.

Reactions: 5 users
Oh, and you can always just do a DIY postbac if you can't fit it in your schedule. Finish up as much as possible before you graduate and take the next couple of courses after. You'll be looking at an extra year, most likely, which isn't all that big a deal.

Now, the big thing you need to decide is whether you want to become a physician. Medical school sucks, horribly. Residency is also horrible. Practice is more paperwork and the government/administrators breathing down your neck than it is actually dealing with patients and saving lives or whatever. Consider the alternatives out there (PA school, nurse practitioner, etc) and weigh whether they fit your goals in life better or worse than becoming a physician.

Thank you everyone so much. I have an okay GPA I think (3.65 - or is that still probably too low to get into a good Bbac?), and I do think I should finish out my degree at NYU (mostly because I've paid so much for this damn tuition already, and it's not even worth it if I don't get my NYU BA. Anyway, I'm not sure how to go about shadowing a doctor, as I don't know any on a personal level whatsoever. I've done a lot of research but I have no idea where to start. I will be in NYC through the next semester, summer, and next fall for sure, and I know that there are a ton of hospitals that could be options. Do you have to apply for a hospital volunteer position? If so, do I have a good chance of getting accepted even though I'm not pre-med?

Anyway, as far as asking my advisor, I know it sounds silly, but I'm kind of embarrassed about all of this. I've only told one person that I'm even considering this [crazy] idea and I got, "But you're not good at math?" Which is true. And I've heard so many horror stories about orgo, that's nearly enough to make me question everything.
Answering a couple of your questions here...
I've shadowed a couple doctors where I just flat out showed up to their office and reception desk one day and asked about shadowing. The receptionist was nice and told me who I should contact and whatever. Could always try that, worked for me at least.

Yes volunteering at a hospital involves applying but you don't need to volunteer at a hospital necessarily. It's convenient if you can volunteer at a hospital and get exposure to patients, (essentially killing two birds with one stone, getting volunteer hours and clinical experience hours). I don't know anything about volunteering in a big city hospital though.

As far as the math goes, @Mad Jack is a better source of information than me since he's a med student. I agree with him though, the only real mathy subjects in the pre-med route are physics and gen chem, physics probably being the most. Also don't let horror stories of organic ruin anything for you. For me at least, organic was challenging but it wasn't like a ridiculous beast of a class. Just put in the time and effort and you'll be fine, just like every other class.

... For me at least, organic was challenging but it wasn't like a ridiculous beast of a class. Just put in the time and effort and you'll be fine, just like every other class....

Organic is a class that varies a lot by school. For example, Organic was a beast and a half at my school, everyone felt a little pain there, however, down the street at the state university the class was much much easier. I remember my friend was taking Orgo at the state school at the same time I was taking it at mine, we used to compare material depth and tests and they weren't even comparable. So it is really hard to say. The one thing with Orgo...the only math you really need is arithmetic;) ...So there is that....

Thank you all so much. I was seriously expecting to get all negative responses on here ("That ship has sailed" and "You´re going to flunk out, don´t do it" types of responses) and it is nothing but supportive and seriously useful information!

I´m currently studying in Madrid for a semester, but as soon as I get back to NYC (getting back a little earlier than necessary in January so I have time to figure out internships and shadowing and everything) I am going to get on it! I am so excited to actually be able to think I can actually do this, if I so choose.

Hopefully I love it as much as I think I will (or not hopefully? from what I hear, med school is rough).

Also, maybe Orgo at NYU is just extra rough because I have heard seriously horrible things.

I agree with the post-bac plan. You are already in too deep with your communications major, which is fine really! That (and your trip to Madrid!) will make you a really interesting applicant, as long as you get some shadowing and volunteering in along the way!

PS. Don't judge O Chem until you are in it. I ended up kind of enjoying the courses!

Best of luck, and at the risk of sounding really cliche, don't give up on your dreams.

Thank you all so much. I was seriously expecting to get all negative responses on here ("That ship has sailed" and "You´re going to flunk out, don´t do it" types of responses) and it is nothing but supportive and seriously useful information!

I´m currently studying in Madrid for a semester, but as soon as I get back to NYC (getting back a little earlier than necessary in January so I have time to figure out internships and shadowing and everything) I am going to get on it! I am so excited to actually be able to think I can actually do this, if I so choose.

Hopefully I love it as much as I think I will (or not hopefully? from what I hear, med school is rough).

Also, maybe Orgo at NYU is just extra rough because I have heard seriously horrible things.
I fee like this applies to nearly all of life but a physician relative once told me, "Never one time in my 20+ years of medical education have I ever found anything to be true that started with the phrase 'I have heard'." -- A real gem of a statement that I think about almost daily, especially when roaming the interwebz--.

As far as Organic goes, the rumors and horror stories also circulated my undergrad. You know what? It was arguably my favorite class in college. I loved it. I thought it was fascinating and I contemplated, for about 5 minutes, in changing my degree to chemistry so that I could pursued a career in organic/ similar field if medicine didn't work out.

Go in with an open mind, a strong work ethic, and, who knows, maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised. GL!

Orgo really just depends on your professors. We all hear the horror stories about orgo, in my case they were true, lol...

Interestingly though, like someone mentioned previously, Organic was probably one of my favorite classes. Don't get me wrong, it is a ton of work and you really have to understand the material as it builds on itself. Really, really interesting class though.

Also, as for math, I hate, HATE, math. Taking Calc I is the only math requirement for most medical school. I got a B- and was accepted this cycle, so anyway after all this rambling, I guess what I'm trying to say is, you can definitely do it. Don't let a few classes, even if you don't get A's, stop you from pursuing your goals. If you really want to get into medicine you will find a way.

SDN is loaded with success stories of people who at times didn't know if they were gonna make it or not. Everyone who goes to medical school has a weakness that they overcome. Even the people who are supergenious who destroy MCATs etc. face something along the way. Some people have to work harder initially to get in, some people may have to work harder later on (for instance the super nerd who can't even say Hi to patients without having a panic attack). Don't give up and youll be fine. By the way not being mathematically inclined? - Find tutors or whatever you need to get through chemistry, physics etc. and then after the MCAT you really don't need hard math ever again.

BTW - I hated ochem and did par at best in chemistry overall (subpar actually). I struggled with the MCAT because of this, but once I did the necessary things (which for me was study groups and a Princeton review course, along with a summer of my life) I was able to do it. My lack of chemistry understanding held me back at first but I prevailed. You may have to do some extra work but don't let one subject hold you back.

Not to mention that organic is very limited on the new MCAT relative to other subjects.

Last edited: