Is biochem 2 needed for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mkif586

Reaction score
Hey there. As I was reading through the MCAT biochem topics I became a bit scared because of the names without further explanation of how in depth knowledge of these topics needs to be. Basically at my school biochem 2 covers advanced topics in DNA replication and recombination and various protein behaviors and a bit of advanced genetics. The class is not hard itself because of professor. I just wonder how important this class would be to do well on the MCAT? Most threads on this forum regarding the question pertain to the old mcat, and I read the new one is very biochem heavy. I took genetics, cell bio and taking 4 credit biochem 1 now. Though I still never had an mcat practice test. I looked at the reddit but all answers there can be divided into 2 main categories:
1) "never took any single prerequisite, got 520+"
2) "you actually need to be a doctor already to do well on the test or at least take [list of 20+ upper level classes including entomology because why not] and MAY BE you will break that 500 threshold"
So I am very confused. Thank you.
P.S. Please don't reply with "not going to hurt you if you take it" or with 2 ideas presented above.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there. As I was reading through the MCAT biochem topics I became a bit scared because of the names without further explanation of how in depth knowledge of these topics needs to be. Basically at my school biochem 2 covers advanced topics in DNA replication and recombination and various protein behaviors and a bit of advanced genetics. The class is not hard itself because of professor. I just wonder how important this class would be to do well on the MCAT? Most threads on this forum regarding the question pertain to the old mcat, and I read the new one is very biochem heavy. I took genetics, cell bio and taking 4 credit biochem 1 now. Though I still never had an mcat practice test. I looked at the reddit but all answers there can be divided into 2 main categories:
1) "never took any single prerequisite, got 520+"
2) "you actually need to be a doctor already to do well on the test or at least take [list of 20+ upper level classes including entomology because why not] and MAY BE you will break that 500 threshold"
So I am very confused. Thank you.
P.S. Please don't reply with "not going to hurt you if you take it" or with 2 ideas presented above.

An intro biochem course typically talks pretty in-depth about amino acids and protein structure, fatty acids, nucleotides and the basics of DNA and RNA, as well as a bunch of stuff about enzyme kinetics/function and metabolism (mostly catabolism: glycolysis, CAA, etc). That is also what about 90% of the biochem on the MCAT tests, so you should definitely feel comfortable with studying for the MCAT with just intro biochem. The test prep books you get will definitely give you anything you need. You intro biochem class might not cover topics like gluconeogenesis (mine didn't), but it isn't too complicated and the book will do just fine for you.

Obviously hyperbole like point 1 is nonsense. As relates to point 2, it depends on how you've been studying throughout your college career. A lot of premeds seem to think that the pre-med classes they take are just a hindrance until they get to "the good stuff" in medical school, and forget the material completely as soon as the test is over with. If you were the kind of student that studied to learn, rather than to get a decent grade, then you will be coming into the MCAT with a very solid foundation and won't need much practice to break a competitive score. However, if you were the kind of student who pulled all-nighters to ace an exam and then forgot the material the following day, the MCAT will be a very different beast.

You definitely don't need any remotely high level courses to do well on the MCAT, let alone break 500. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
An intro biochem course typically talks pretty in-depth about amino acids and protein structure, fatty acids, nucleotides and the basics of DNA and RNA, as well as a bunch of stuff about enzyme kinetics/function and metabolism (mostly catabolism: glycolysis, CAA, etc). That is also what about 90% of the biochem on the MCAT tests, so you should definitely feel comfortable with studying for the MCAT with just intro biochem. The test prep books you get will definitely give you anything you need. You intro biochem class might not cover topics like gluconeogenesis (mine didn't), but it isn't too complicated and the book will do just fine for you.

Obviously hyperbole like point 1 is nonsense. As relates to point 2, it depends on how you've been studying throughout your college career. A lot of premeds seem to think that the pre-med classes they take are just a hindrance until they get to "the good stuff" in medical school, and forget the material completely as soon as the test is over with. If you were the kind of student that studied to learn, rather than to get a decent grade, then you will be coming into the MCAT with a very solid foundation and won't need much practice to break a competitive score. However, if you were the kind of student who pulled all-nighters to ace an exam and then forgot the material the following day, the MCAT will be a very different beast.

You definitely don't need any remotely high level courses to do well on the MCAT, let alone break 500. Hope this helps!
Hi. Thank you for such a thorough reply. I studied pretty well throughout my college career with exception of physics which I straight up hate by every fiber of my soul because I am not a math person (though I got A). So probably will have to relearn it. Then I will not take biochem 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. Thank you for such a thorough reply. I studied pretty well throughout my college career with exception of physics which I straight up hate by every fiber of my soul because I am not a math person (though I got A). So probably will have to relearn it. Then I will not take biochem 2.
Well you will be happy to know physics doesn’t re-appear in it’s raw form during medical school except for small background knowledge things like why fluid flow decreases/increases (blood). :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

I think it might be good to specify what you meant when you mentioned INTRO biochemistry. For instance, there are intro biochem courses that pre-nursing students have to take to get in to their program. Those biochemistry courses would not be acceptable for science majors/premed.

I think it might be good to specify what you meant when you mentioned INTRO biochemistry. For instance, there are intro biochem courses that pre-nursing students have to take to get in to their program. Those biochemistry courses would not be acceptable for science majors/premed.
I feel like it's safe to assume that someone on a pre-med forum talking about taking advanced biochemistry has taken the correct prerequisite! Otherwise they have bigger concerns lol

I feel like it's safe to assume that someone on a pre-med forum talking about taking advanced biochemistry has taken the correct prerequisite! Otherwise they have bigger concerns lol

Well you stated intro biochem is enough to take the MCAT. Intro biochem is not advanced biochem. Do you know what I mean? One of my degrees is in Biochemistry, so I know that there are several classes that one could take (including the one for pre-nursing) before attempting the advanced course. Remember you said intro was enough for the MCAT.

Hi. There are just 2 biochem classes at my school 1 called intro biochem and 2nd is advanced biochem, both are 4 credits. The first class requires orgo as a prereq and is included into pre med track. Second is usually taken by biochem major students after they completed the first one. Hope this clarifies.

I just wonder how important this class would be to do well on the MCAT? Most threads on this forum regarding the question pertain to the old mcat, and I read the new one is very biochem heavy.

Any biochemistry course that goes through the biochemical pathways, amino acids, enzymes, bioenergetics is really all you need for the MCAT.

Basically at my school biochem 2 covers advanced topics in DNA replication and recombination and various protein behaviors and a bit of advanced genetics

Nothing advanced is necessary. You'll get all you need out of that from a general biology course.

I'll give you an anecdote. One topic you need to know for the MCAT, but in the most basic level, is neurodevelopment. I took a neurodevelopment course that went way more in-depth than what was necessary for the MCAT. There were important proteins we learned in that class involved in cell differentiation that came up in B/B passages during preparation. Even though I was familiar with the proteins in the context of what I'd learned in that class, the passages were based on understanding the experimental design and findings talked about specifically in the passage, and I did not need to draw upon any advanced knowledge from that class.

If you want to take advanced biochemistry, go for it, it sounds interesting, but you don't need it for the MCAT.

Weigh the hit to your GPA vs the minuscule advantage that BioChem 2 will give you for the MCAT.

The tiny amount that is on MCAT can be gained from review books/courses.

Last edited:
In my opinion, biochemistry courses take a deep dive into the nitty gritty but almost everything MCAT related to biochemistry can be learned in Intro Bio courses. If you need it for your major, go ahead and take it, but don't feel obligated to take it due to MCAT requirements. Most schools also only require 1 semester of biochem as a prerequisite anyway so you'll have completed it. Like others have mentioned just get a set of review booklets/materials and they'll go through all of the material you'll need to know for the MCAT.

"Intro" and "advanced" are just labels that will vary from school to school with respective to their target student audience. the important thing is to just select a biochem course that caters to biology or chemistry students.

Take intro biochemistry to become familiar with the topics. Use an MCAT prep book to really dial in on the details you need to know for the exam. Having taken an introductory biochemistry and two upper level courses, I would've been fine with just the former.