Is Calculus Really Needed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tahitian3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many of the M.D. programs I have been checking out (i.e. University of Wisconsin, Medical College of Wisconsin, Rush Medical College, Northwestern U. Med School, Yale, Loyola U. of Chicago, etc.) do not list Calculus (not even 1 semester) as a requirement. However, in pre-med as an undergrad everyone is hyping up Calculus... saying things like, "Yeah, you don't need it on the MCAT but med schools LIKE to see it on your transcript..."
What's the deal? You all are in med school, is calc really needed? do you use calc on a daily basis? If a person does not necessarily have a strength in math and is applying to med schools that do not require calc, should that person endure the pain of the class just because.........?
I appreciate any and all responses. I'm confused:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

i'm ms-2, and i never used calculus in med school. stat stuff has been the extent of the math usage thusfar.

The only reason you need to take calc as a premed is because it's a prereq for physics, and physics is required by most med schools. You will NEVER use it in med school or as a doc. :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Only a few schools require calc (10-20 I think). So, unless you are going to apply to one of these schools, you don't need it. As far as physics goes, you can take trig-based in place of calc-based. That's what I did.

DALA

No, physicians don't use calculus in clinical practice. BUT calc is required by a great many schools (more than 10-20), and with good reason. Not only does calc help explain physics and chemistry, but it is essentially a course in thinking. Calculus is important because it demonstrates a variety of ways to think about how a problem might be solved. While no one will expect you to solve a sophisticated mathematical problem on the wards, you will have to wade your way through sophisticated clinical problems.

Physicians DO need to know how to think methodically and solve complicated problems with ease. Don't blow off calculus.

doepug

FYI: the nazis at Duke require Calc I & II. I hate math, hence I did not apply there.

Originally posted by doepug
No, physicians don't use calculus in clinical practice. BUT calc is required by a great many schools (more than 10-20), and with good reason. Not only does calc help explain physics and chemistry, but it is essentially a course in thinking. Calculus is important because it demonstrates a variety of ways to think about how a problem might be solved. While no one will expect you to solve a sophisticated mathematical problem on the wards, you will have to wade your way through sophisticated clinical problems.

Physicians DO need to know how to think methodically and solve complicated problems with ease. Don't blow off calculus.

doepug

FYI: According to the 2003-2004 MSAR, only 23 of 119 schools require calculus (six of the 125 medical schools did not respond to the survey and were therefore excluded from the figures). You get plenty of problem solving in physics. If you don't want to take calc, then don't.

DALA

I have a vague memory of a question about calculating drug absorption over a period of time on one of my maths papers when I was 18 that required calculus.

However, have never used so far and I can't see me ever doing so.

Just filled out the Dartmouth secondary, and they said they require Calculus (at least 3 semester hours).

if calculus is not required for all schools is it still factored into your science gpa, and if it is part of the science gpa do they use just your calc 1 grade or would calc 2,3 or any other math class be included as well.

Originally posted by *sunny*
if calculus is not required for all schools is it still factored into your science gpa, and if it is part of the science gpa do they use just your calc 1 grade or would calc 2,3 or any other math class be included as well.

Any and all courses in biology, chemistry, math, and physics are included in your science gpa-as long as they are actually coded as such on your transcript.

DALA

It should go as no wonder that the more prestigious medical schools generally are the ones that require more mathematics as a pre-req to admission.

I hate how people are like "you won't use calc" per se. Calc is *NOT* some advanced form math... it is BASIC MATHEMATICS that EVERYONE IN THE REST OF THE world does in high school but our country for whatever reason is just lacking and therefore most of us catch up in college. Calc is *BASIC* mathematics... the study of rates of change. *BASIC BASIC BASIC*

You see the concepts all the time in scientific journals... in the form of graphs, areas, rates, acceleration, etc. Moreover, it's the BASIS of physicis

stop whining and take calculus!

hate how people are like "you won't use calc" per se. Calc is *NOT* some advanced form math... it is BASIC MATHEMATICS that EVERYONE IN THE REST OF THE world does in high school but our country for whatever reason is just lacking and therefore most of us catch up in college. Calc is *BASIC* mathematics... the study of rates of change. *BASIC BASIC BASIC*

I accept that calculus is required for physics, maths and in some other areas. And yes, I am extremely well versed in the joys of calculus. However, I have done a physiology degree and 3 years of medicine and I have yet to come across a situation where it is required.

On the other hand, calculus is not a particularly complicated concept to understand. In Irish schools, 16 year olds are capable of doing it without too much bother.

On the whole, it is not hard to learn some basic calculus but I wouldn't put too much emphasis on it. Basic addition, subtraction etc. are more important in college than calculus and are surprisingly lacking in many students.

I suspect you haven't realized that you have used some of the skills you aquired from calculus in your physiology classes because you SIMPLY TOOK FOR GRANTED your understanding of certain concepts.

Physiology is also one of my majors (i'm a graduate)... and looking back, don't you see how your understanding of graphs, rates of change.... tangent lines, and areas under the graph were DIRECTLY related to say, for one example, cardiac physiology and hemodynamics? What about interpreting respiratory physiology graphs - say lung volume to intraplueral pressure graphs? What about Oxygen hemoglobin dissociation curves?

really understanding how these graphs interelate and moreover being able to actually gain real substance from their existence takes a mathematically oriented mind....

does it take necessarily remembering how to use the formal method of finding a derivative or a quadratic formula to do that? no. Does going through those processes and learning that material prepare you for the mathematically oriented topics we will face in the future? Yes!

GRAPHS GRAPHS GRAPHS! Calculus is all about GRAPHS... without taking its course, interpreting and gaining a true understanding of what they mean!

Word out. I agree with kreno.

I will never use the 3 semesters of calculus I took BUT it is important for any scientist to be grounded in the physical and mathematical sciences; this includes physicians.

Some of the most productive scientific investigations are inter-disciplinary, requiring all different types of scientists and the tools they can bring to help solve the problem.

Damn, that calculus is still coming back to haunt me! I thought I had gotten rid of it but it's just hiding behind all those damn curves.

I suppose you're right kreno about calculus being required.

I hate being wrong!

Thanks for the kind responses :) Good luck in your future pursuits!