Is California Pacific's psychiatry residency DO friendy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothless rufus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tried to find past residents list on their website. Just wondering if they take DOs?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't answer the question for you but did you consider calling that program and asking? Some programs are very upfront on their stance on DOs and will want to nip one in the bid because it saves their time.

I got nothing against DOs but as you know, several programs unfortunately do. Funny thing is I bet if I were to list several of the programs that do have something against DOs, some people would be upset with me as if I'm bad-mouthing them, yet those programs upfront mention they do not accept DOs. (Don't get upset at me, get upset at them).

Hey there Rufus.

Despite my username I ended up going into psych because I just love it so much. I'm a DO and I just wanted to give you some encouragement. I matched my #1 and I will be the only DO in the program (a great one in the NE). I agree that some programs won't want to give you an interview because you are a DO. That sucks but it is the way it is right now. If they are hesitant about DOs and our training you probably don't want to be there. I don't know how many times I've already had to answer "So... um... what exactly is a DO anyway?" That being said though there is nothing wrong with being a trailblazer!

Good luck and enjoy being a MSIV! :luck:

There's enough psyche residencies out there that do not have the DO prejudice to the point where I'd bet you'd still get into a great program. As for those programs that got a prejudice against DOs--its their loss. There's some great DOs out there.