****is Calvin Cycle = Krebs Cycle????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toothguy80

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought they were the same thing

turns out 6 turns of the calvin cycle = 1 glucose

while 2 turns of the Krebs cycle = 1 glucose

what else do we need to know about the Calvin cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

No...calvin cycle is not the same thing as the krebs cycle.

Calvin cycle takes place in plants and a turn of calvin cycle gives you a molecule of g3p whereas a turn of kreb's gives you ATP/GTP, NADH, and CO2.

Dear Tooth,

I don't know which study guide or notes you are useing but it will be good if you take a look to your textbooks with that.
krebs Cycle happens in mitochondria but Calvin cycle happens in Chloroplasts in light independent phase(Co2 fixation). Now you find the diffrences

Hey toothguy80, I know these terms may be confusing. For this general bio stuff use Campbells or exam crackers. You`ll find all of this info in there. I used it myself and they are pretty clear on the explanations. I know how you feel. Sometimes the simplest thing could be made into the most complicated concept, if you use the wrong review book.
Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definetly not, and you don't need to know about calvin cycle for the MCATs I think. But incase you are curious, from what I remember calvin cycle is the same thing as dark cycle in PLANTS. So the light cycle and dark cycle are processes that occur in photosynthetic plants. And krebs cycle is completely different, and occurs during cellular respiration I believe. I don't quite remember the details, b/c this is from sophomore year bio, but i am 100% sure they are NOT the same.

O haha, i just realized i'm in the pre dental section....so nevermind, you might have to know it for the DATs, but you dont' for the MCATs

Calvin cycle = kreb cycle when McCain = obama

Calvin cycle also occurs in certain kinds of bacteria such as phototrophs (many other forms, too).

Calvin cycle= Synthesis=molecules that are building blocks of living things by utilizing energy sources such as ATP+ NADPH(plant) gained from light reaction or "other sources" (in the cases of bacteria, etc)

Creb cycle= Energy production= ATP, NADH that are used for energy production + A few intermediate molecules that also work as building blocks

Anyway, study microbiology. Everything will become cleared! :laugh:

Don't ask me more than this. However, if I have to take a biochem test, I can do it within 2days as long as I review again. :laugh:

You are probably just thinking of the citric acid cycle and confusing it with the calvin cycle. Citric Acid Cycle = Krebs Cycle