Is Child Psych worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ksharp33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To anyone who has done Child Psych fellowship, was it it worth it?

Pros/cons of doing the fellowship?"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

To anyone who has done Child Psych fellowship, was it it worth it?

Pros/cons of doing the fellowship?"

I can offer the best insight if I might reframe your question slightly. If you want to work with children and adolescents, then you should absolutely, absolutely do the fellowship. You close off many job opportunities by not having it - I looked at 5 child and adolescent psychiatry jobs for post fellowship, in academic, community, and county settings and all of them required the fellowship. In private practice its important in most parts of the country also. This fellowship, unlike what has been said about some fellowships, exposes you to completely new settings and clinical problems and you will definitely learn many new things.

And so the second question is whether child and adolescent work is sufficiently rich to justify the extra training, and whether its worth going into at all. Having now done this work for two years, I would cite these pro's. Firstly, I experience greater scope for crafting sophisticated formulations that consider not only the patients phenomenology, but how it can be best accounted for in terms of their cognitive profile, developmental stage, and psychosocial context. It is of course possible and important to think in these terms in adult psychiatry, but there is greater impetus for this in child psychiatry, particularly as the DSM nosology is of limited utility (for example, one can diagnose ODD in a child much the same way you would diagnosis MDD in an adult. However in a child this label is of basically no utility, and treatment planning will require a more detailed understanding across multiple dimensions. By contrast, when an adult meets 5/9 criteria for depression, you are already in a position to recommend at least some type of treatment). I also feel like systems are more aware of the need for complex formulations in children; as such, we frequently carry fewer patients (e.g. my new job is 8 adolescents and the adult folks see 11), are given more time for certain evaluations (e.g. people can bill school districts for 8 hours to do a robust consult), and I do feel that there is a greater appreciation for whatever contribution I can make to the treatment team. Again, I do not deny that all of this is possible and important in adult work, but it just seems to be more prominent in child psychiatry - I see less of the 'race to the bottom' that splik has described as a more general issue.

There are cons. Despite systems making some accommodations, things can still take longer in child psychiatry. It is important to get collateral from schools, parents and other family members, and then answering questions not only by the patient but also by his family. Family work can be rich and rewarding but also very draining and one may be verbally attacked more often.

Overall I would think about how much you have enjoyed this work and if you found it rewarding, go for it!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your question is so non-specific I can't help but wonder if you are trying to ask if it's financially worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
I considered a child fellowship but didn't do it. I think it is probably the most "worth it" fellowship in psychiatry, especially if you fast track. Child psychiatrists are in incredibly high demand, and being able to intervene earlier in life is really cool. You become a true "generalist" in your ability to see anyone across the lifespan. You also tend to get an increase in salary.

With that said, I didn't do the fellowship. Psychiatrists are so in-demand that (presuming you are good) you will have your choice of work anywhere, with or without the child qualification. I also realized during my child psych rotation that I just like working with adults a lot more. You have to be honest with yourself about whether you really enjoy child psychiatry more than (or at least as much as) adult psychiatry. If so I would say go for it! If not (and that's not uncommon) then don't bother.

Hopefully more child-trained people will chime in. Good luck with your decision.

Well, that is certainly part of it also. Is it financially worth it?

It's an extra year (or two if you don't fast track) with a lower salary. I do think it comes with a small income boost at most salaried places. In certain private practice environments you can demand higher fees. It is less common for children to be uninsured (in Connecticut where I am finishing my fellowship I literally haven't had a single uninsured child patient, if they don't have commercial insurance they are on Medicaid).

Time and money have nothing to do with this. For me, Child would never be worth it. For others, they love it. If you aren't sure you should do it because of some math about money, don't do it.

Reactions: 1 users
I considered a child fellowship but didn't do it. I think it is probably the most "worth it" fellowship in psychiatry, especially if you fast track. Child psychiatrists are in incredibly high demand, and being able to intervene earlier in life is really cool. You become a true "generalist" in your ability to see anyone across the lifespan. You also tend to get an increase in salary.

With that said, I didn't do the fellowship. Psychiatrists are so in-demand that (presuming you are good) you will have your choice of work anywhere, with or without the child qualification. I also realized during my child psych rotation that I just like working with adults a lot more. You have to be honest with yourself about whether you really enjoy child psychiatry more than (or at least as much as) adult psychiatry. If so I would say go for it! If not (and that's not uncommon) then don't bother.

Hopefully more child-trained people will chime in. Good luck with your decision.

This is a pretty good reply. I'm about to finish child psych fellowship and I'm taking an adult-only job for a little bit and will probably build a PP child and adult practice on the side. Long term I'll probably do 50% adult and 50% child/adolescent. Child psych isn't easy. A lot of child psych problems cannot be treated with medications. It's a family system issue and often difficult to address. It can be frustrating. Overall, if you're interested in seeing young kids under age of 14, I'd say you need to do the fellowhsip. If you only want to see adolescents and adults, then you don't need it.

Define what you mean by "worth it".

Financially, it depends on your goals. A typical employed job will not pay much more for child training, but it is often easier to start a cash-only practice. A friend of mine did child and then decided he preferred VA work making the extra year a poor financial decision.

I find seeing children rewarding, but it is also more mentally taxing. Parents require more education and coaching.

Doing some math for my situation tells me it is worth it. The job I took in 2001 paid an extra $10k per year for Child/Adol. Another doc started along with me with only general psyc. He was able to start 1 year "earlier" than me because of the fellowship, so it took me 15 years to make up for that one year of "lost income". My raises are based on a % of income so I now make much more than him and a pulling away every year.

Every job will be different. Some pay crazy amounts for child, others do for geriatric.

Reactions: 1 user
Parents.

For me, that's a no.

Every job will be different. Some pay crazy amounts for child, others do for geriatric.

We're gonna have a lot more gerios that kiddos in the years to come. Something to think about.